Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzztimzzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping I'm in the right forum with this post...I recently bought a 27" Thunderbolt Display from eBay to go with my 2017 iMac 27", 4,2 GHZ i7.

It appears to be in great condition externally. However despite numerous attempts to calibrate the screen I can't seem to get the whites to be as white as the iMac. The TB screen seems to be warmer, with a kind of yellow tint to it. When I drag a dialogue box or web page from the TB display to the built in iMac display the difference is really noticeable.

The TB display is also a fair bit dimmer than the iMac.

I have turned off the ambient display sensor and the TB's brightness is on full. At that level I need to reduce the iMac brightness to about 70% to get them to match.

Does anyone have any experience of using one of these displays with a newer iMac?

Is this a quirk of this configuration or does it point to something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm going to -guess- that age has "diminished" the brightness of the Thunderbolt display, and that you're "only going to get so much whiteness out of it".
Or... perhaps the iMac has a brighter white point to begin with.

Unless you're willing to dim down the iMac display to "match", it's just something you're gonna have to live with.

Or... look for something else.

joe654

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
USA
I have seen many people are talking about this 2017 iMac. But do you guys know anything about 2018 iMac? I want to know the recent news about this device. I think it will be launched in September maybe. Because this September Tim cook will launch all the new devices of Apple. Also hp support assistant told me the same thing.

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
I have seen many people are talking about this 2017 iMac. But do you guys know anything about 2018 iMac? I want to know the recent news about this device. I think it will be launched in September maybe. Because this September Tim cook will launch all the new devices of Apple. Also hp support assistant told me the same thing.

Nice plug lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.