Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drawrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
IMG_3757.jpg

MacBook pro 2017 touchbar 15 inch on the external monitor.

I broke the LCD screen, since then I'am using second monitor as main display. Everything seems normal for a year but then I got this problem. Anyone know what is this and how to solve it? The external monitor was fine, I've tested it using another mac.

At first I thought it is because the Monterey OS, it's still beta. But the problem come after weeks later. Now I downgraded it to Big Sur but the problem is still there.

Also after the macbook entering the OS (this is where you see the login screen) the external monitor automatically sleep because there is no input detected.

I already run the apple free diagnose (Option + D on startup), but no issues detected.

Appreciate any advice, thank you!

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
Looks like issues with cable or even graphics card.

Did you try to connect to other mac just to make sure?

Also you can do Pram and SMC reset

drawrs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2021
Looks like issues with cable or even graphics card.

Did you try to connect to other mac just to make sure?

Also you can do Pram and SMC reset
Yes I tried it on another mac and it worked fine, I also did a Pram and SMC reset but it had no effect.

I also suspecting the graphics card, but the apple system diagnose didn't telling that problem :/

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
Yes Aplle diagnostics might not always reveal those issues as detected problems

holycowe

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
Mine did same thing.
Open it, disconnect the LCD connector (middle top) and use your external as main.

holycowe

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2010
Thunderbolt Display Through thunderbolt 2-3 adaptor. Pretty sure any monitor will do

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Thunderbolt Display Through thunderbolt 2-3 adaptor. Pretty sure any monitor will do
Well, yes -- with the right adapter. But most external displays are not thunderbolt, and some adapters are not necessarily reliable on every type of graphics connection.
For the OP, if the external monitor works on another Mac, you should try a different adapter on your MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.