Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick Bedsole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Alabama
Ever since I downloaded Mac OS Mojave my computer has been very laggy and just seems to be working at 50%. I have had to restart it twice within the past week, which I had never had to do before, and the last time I did it it stopped halfway through turning back on so I had to turn it off and back on again. I can't even watch a youtube video because it's so slow. I know it's not my wifi because I reset it on Wednesday and my grandmother is watching DirectvNow at the same time with no issues. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same issues I'm having. I tried to look through the forums but couldn't find anything.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
There is definitely more at play here, we just have to do some digging. First though, when you say you never have to restart your computer, I'd be careful with that. There is no hard rule but I make sure my computer gets a restart every other day or so.

Anyway, when you feel that your computer is running slow, open activity monitor, click "View" then select All Processes. Take a look at the memory and cpu tabs, and sort the memory and % cpu columns respectively in descending order. Take screenshots or report what is in activity monitor here and we can help.

Reactions: Nick Bedsole

Nick Bedsole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Alabama
There is definitely more at play here, we just have to do some digging. First though, when you say you never have to restart your computer, I'd be careful with that. There is no hard rule but I make sure my computer gets a restart every other day or so.

Anyway, when you feel that your computer is running slow, open activity monitor, click "View" then select All Processes. Take a look at the memory and cpu tabs, and sort the memory and % cpu columns respectively in descending order. Take screenshots or report what is in activity monitor here and we can help.
I will start restarting it more often then. I haven't had to use it much today, but if I notice it slowing down I will definitely try your suggestion. Thank you

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
If there is no obvious clue to be found in Activity Monitor I wholeheartedly recommend that you do a clean install of Mojave – yes it does take more time and is a little more work - but your machine will perform beautifully afterwards. I do this for every single new MacOS.

Here's a guide (it is quite easy really, but does require some patience):
https://www.imore.com/how-do-clean-install-macos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.