Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
I had closed up my laptop a couple days ago and when I went to use it yesterday it wouldn't turn on. It had been plugged in the whole time. It lives on my coffee table usually plugged in. But this time it was unresponsive. I noticed the little duck bill power plug was slightly gapped and that there was some yellowing around the usb-c cable where it plugs into the brick. I moved it to a different power outlet and still nothing. We've had some storms but no outages, and I keep it plugged into a surge protector the whole time. Still, I moved it to a new outlet to see if that was the issue. Nothing.

I don't have another 87 watt power brick or USB-C to USB-C cable, so I tried using my iPad 13 watt brick with my short GoPro USB-A to USB-C cable. I let it sit for a half hour to give it some charge, still unresponsive. Then I got the idea to use my female USB-A to USB-C dongle that I normally use for hooking up hard drives to my Macbook Pro. I used that in combination with the GoPro USB-C cable so that I now had a makeshift USB-C to USB-C cable and I hooked that into my 87 watt power brick. The computer chirped and flashed a 100% battery icon center screen. I then hit the power/fingerprint button and it started right up with 100% battery capacity.

What the heck? If it had full battery power the whole time why didn't it start up?

I don't know if it's the cord, I bet you that when I try that cord again it will work just fine. I will when I'm done backing up data.
Is it a motherboard issue?
Just a fluke?

Has me a bit worried.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I had something similar - would not start, after some random dance with cables it started again. In few days it did not start again and at that time it was the end of it. No amount of cable dance helped... Ended up with new mainboard.
Make sure you have up to date backup. Time to check it.
I hope this was minor fluke in your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.