Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caoimhin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2006
Dublin
I've noticed this to varying degrees over the past few months: I would close my notebook, place it in its case, and keep it in my bag to travel to or from work. I may not use it for a day or two. When I wanted to resume work on the machine, let's say 36 hours later, the battery is depleted and I get the drained battery icon on the screen.

Just today, my wife pointed out that my notebook was warm, despite me not having used it in a day or so. It had been closed, and she had unplugged it from the wall to plug her charger in (so, presumably my notebook's battery was fully charged at the time it was unplugged). When I opened it up, I again go the drained battery icon on the screen.

I reset the SMC and NVRAM. I also looked in Activity Monitor for processes "Preventing Sleep". The processes that showed up with a "yes" in that column were "hidd", "powerd", "cloudd", "sharingd", and "useractivityd". Some processes came and went, but there were at least two active at any given time.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks!

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016

caoimhin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2006
Dublin
Thanks tCC. I know, "search function is your friend" and all.

There are so many threads relative to battery issues, it was hard to filter them all. Thanks for pointing me in the right directions. Stay safe.

tCC_

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Yep, but sometimes can't find anything myself ;)

Anyway, try this for a good starter:
sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 25

This enables hibernation instead of standby during battery usage (on a modern MacBook resuming the laptop only is a couple of seconds slower, but will not drain your battery overnight).

And did this myself as well (don't use Find My Mac and I guess it will report anyway when the laptop's being powered on):
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0

"man pmset" shows you several options to use, but above will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.