Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_monkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Hey guys and girls, i was just thinking about buying one of the 2017 MBPs and realized that the 2.9 GHz MBP is 150€ more expensive than the 2.8 GHz with 560 gpu. Are there any other differences and is that small difference worth the 150 bucks?

Thanks alot!

mac_monkey

vjobs

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2013
Amsterdam, Netherlands
You're in the right thread ;)

Apart from the slightly higher clock speed, the 2.8 GHz has a 6MB cache while the 2.9 GHz has a 8MB cache. Cache is used for tasks that need very fast accessibility to the processor (cache is faster that normal RAM). With more cache memory, it will be faster in handling different tasks that use the cache.

I have ordered the exact same configuration with the 2.9 GHz 8MB L3-cache for future proofing. Up to you if that's worth the money.

Reactions: mac_monkey

mac_monkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
You're in the right thread ;)

Apart from the slightly higher clock speed, the 2.8 GHz has a 6MB cache while the 2.9 GHz has a 8MB cache. Cache is used for tasks that need very fast accessibility to the processor (cache is faster that normal RAM). With more cache memory, it will be faster in handling different tasks that use the cache.

I have ordered the exact same configuration with the 2.9 GHz 8MB L3-cache for future proofing. Up to you if that's worth the money.
Thanks for your reply. I think i will go the same way, especially since the 2.9 GHz version is available within the next few days :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.