Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diaspora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
London, UK
Hey guys. Thought maybe some of you could resonate with my issue. We got the new 2017 touch bar 15/13" MBPs at work in two or three batches. First two had no issues connecting to DELL 2715 via the DP>USBc adapters out of the box, but last three laptops from the third batch refuse to identify the monitors. We've tried using the same cable+adapter combinations that work with the older batch and got nothing - they just don't see them. What might be the issue here? Cheers.

Reactions: j1mnasium

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"We've tried using the same cable+adapter combinations that work with the older batch and got nothing"

Try a DIFFERENT cable/adapter.
One that "didn't come in the box"...

Reactions: diaspora

diaspora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
London, UK
All good now. Thanks this thread I now know that cables that worked for 2016 MBP models, don't work with the 2017 ones due to some design change of the thunderbolt port :(.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
All good now. Thanks this thread I now know that cables that worked for 2016 MBP models, don't work with the 2017 ones due to some design change of the thunderbolt port :(.
That's crazy... any idea what wash changed between the 2016 & 2017 models? I read the thread and did a quick web search, but all I can find is that 'something' was changed... wild...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"That's crazy... any idea what wash changed between the 2016 & 2017 models? I read the thread and did a quick web search, but all I can find is that 'something' was changed..."

Not to worry.
The single USB-c port, where many different connectors "look alike", was going to solve all our connection problems. Right...? ;)

Reactions: Patcell

j1mnasium

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2017
Not to highjack this thread but I'm experiencing a similar issue on my 2017 15" rMBP purchased last month. I thought I'd post this here in case others haven't discovered this work-around. When I use Insignia USB-C to HDMI adapter to connect to my ASUS VG248 external display, it does NOT wake up the display. I have to go through these steps every freaking time:
  1. Plug in USB-C adapter and nothing happens
  2. Unplug and replug USB-C adapter and my MBP display flashes as though the USB-C port is active. The ASUS external display wakes up, but it just displays a blue screen (regardless of changing the input).
  3. Open System Preferences>Displays>Gather Windows to view the ASUS settings and change refresh rate from 50 to 60 Hz or vice versa.
  4. Magically the ASUS monitor works as expected until I sleep my MBP or disconnect it, in which case I have to repeat the above steps.
VERY frustrating as it appears this has been a known issue since the late 2016 rMBP was released: http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/11/26/beware-usb-c-hdmi-adapters-flaky-2016-macbook-pro/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.