Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Not sure how many people still have this iPad, but I want to start a thread for discussion to see what features are added and missing due to lack of hardware support.

As a refresher, this iPad has 6GB of RAM.

It seems like the calculator app and enhanced handwriting features will be available on this iPad.

I'm not as excited about the Apple Intelligence features. Anyone else? It really doesn't seem like a game-changing feature unless I'm missing something. It also seems arbitrary to limit the features to M1 iPads or faster. I'm not getting the sense that all the AI features will be processed locally instead of on the cloud. Will the enhanced Siri be restricted to M1 iPads?

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
The calculator appoes have handwritimg input; but I’ve had that for quite a while on Nebo(?) and I use Calculator SC-323PU, so….no need for a redesigned, buttugly and slow Apple iPad calculator.

Tom

oops, forgot to add that 2018 is one iPad I own and it took the beta update with no problem

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
The calculator appoes have handwritimg input; but I’ve had that for quite a while on Nebo(?) and I use Calculator SC-323PU, so….no need for a redesigned, buttugly and slow Apple iPad calculator.

Tom

oops, forgot to add that 2018 is one iPad I own and it took the beta update with no problem
It's slow?

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
It's slow?
No, it just seems like every other OS update since 2018 in terms of speed. There really isn’t anything there that stands out, perhaps or probably since it’s such an early Beta. The photo app really seems jumbled up(don’t like that so far), math notes is ok, but has been done already and as far as changing icon colors, well I thought we would be able to change each icon to a separate colour, but no, all to one colour (unless I’m doing this wrong).

I was looking forward to photo erase, but not there yet.

However, since I have another IPP with all my apps and data, I’ll continue w/the iPadOS updates.

edit: Ias hoping that we would be able to change the icons themselves, but no

Goodnotes, Notability, Noteful, Collanote, Zoomnotes and Kilonotes seem, behave and run the same as they have on every other IOS version since purchase. No difference in speed or ‘snappiness’.

I actually think that the control centre is an effed up mess. Just a big list of options with nocoherent structure or rational layout (not sure there has to be, but when you have all those options to add to the control centee and no method of organization it just looks ugly and headache inducing.

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: lsquare

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Here’s the calculator I use, and in my opinion, superior to the new Apple one, but lacking pencil input. It’s the perfect size to firt a Pro Max phone screen and just looks/feels like areal calculator. Included manual is ~278 pages.

Uwux8Nbl.png

Tom
(I bought this 5 years ago and forgot how much $;I wanna say $9.99 but faulty memory)

Reactions: GRK

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
No, it just seems like every other OS update since 2018 in terms of speed. There really isn’t anything there that stands out, perhaps or probably since it’s such an early Beta. The photo app really seems jumbled up(don’t like that so far), math notes is ok, but has been done already and as far as changing icon colors, well I thought we would be able to change each icon to a separate colour, but no, all to one colour (unless I’m doing this wrong).

I was looking forward to photo erase, but not there yet.

However, since I have another IPP with all my apps and data, I’ll continue w/the iPadOS updates.

edit: Ias hoping that we would be able to change the icons themselves, but no

Goodnotes, Notability, Noteful, Collanote, Zoomnotes and Kilonotes seem, behave and run the same as they have on every other IOS version since purchase. No difference in speed or ‘snappiness’.

I actually think that the control centre is an effed up mess. Just a big list of options with nocoherent structure or rational layout (not sure there has to be, but when you have all those options to add to the control centee and no method of organization it just looks ugly and headache inducing.

Tom
Have you tried Safari yet? Any new features. I was worried that the iPad would be slower as you seem to have indicated. As long as iPadOS 18 still feels snappy then that's a good thing. I don't feel like the lack of AI is necessarily a bad thing.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Have you tried Safari yet? Any new features. I was worried that the iPad would be slower as you seem to have indicated. As long as iPadOS 18 still feels snappy then that's a good thing. I don't feel like the lack of AI is necessarily a bad thing.
I;m on Safari in the 2018 IPP right now just before bed. It seems snappy. I’ll take it in with me to dialysis tomorrow and use it for 3.5 hours in a row and report back here.

No, if it doesn’t get any AI features I won’t be bothered or upset

Tom

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I;m on Safari in the 2018 IPP right now just before bed. It seems snappy. I’ll take it in with me to dialysis tomorrow and use it for 3.5 hours in a row and report back here.

No, if it doesn’t get any AI features I won’t be bothered or upset

Tom
There was a rumour about Safari getting some sort of web eraser in iPadOS 18. I haven't seen any indication it's there as nothing was announced. I'm curious what improvement if any for iOS and iPadOS.

Just wondering if you have the 11" or 12.9" iPad Pro?

None of the AI features seem to be game-changing. I felt like there was a lot of hype and quite frankly, I feel underwhelmed.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
There was a rumour about Safari getting some sort of web eraser in iPadOS 18. I haven't seen any indication it's there as nothing was announced. I'm curious what improvement if any for iOS and iPadOS.

Just wondering if you have the 11" or 12.9" iPad Pro?

None of the AI features seem to be game-changing. I felt like there was a lot of hype and quite frankly, I feel underwhelmed.
12.9 IPP (2018)
12.9 IPP (2024) - not experimenting with beta software on this one.

Web eraser; wow, that’s a new one on me. There’s no indication of such. I am already running a content blocker called Wipr, so maybe that’s interferring somehow?.

I have iMazing backups that I can always restore to the 2018 IPP if it stops working b/c of beta software. If anything news shows up, I’ll report it of course.’’Tom

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
12.9 IPP (2018)
12.9 IPP (2024) - not experimenting with beta software on this one.

Web eraser; wow, that’s a new one on me. There’s no indication of such. I am already running a content blocker called Wipr, so maybe that’s interferring somehow?.

I have iMazing backups that I can always restore to the 2018 IPP if it stops working b/c of beta software. If anything news shows up, I’ll report it of course.’’Tom
What's the storage capacity of your 2018 iPad Pro? Only the 1TB has 6GB of RAM, which is what I have. Every other model has only 4GB of RAM.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
@Isquare. My 2018 IPP only has 256gb. At the time of purchase I was unaware that different storage size possinly meant increased ram

Tom

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
@Isquare. My 2018 IPP only has 256gb. At the time of purchase I was unaware that different storage size possinly meant increased ram

Tom
Sadly, that means your iPad only have 4GB of RAM. Hope you'll have a good day. Looking forward to your impressions.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Does anyone here know if iOS 18’s smart script will work on the 2018 iPad Pro?

GRK

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Midwest USA
Like others, I chose to upgrade my iPad Pro Gen 3 to iPadOS 18 Beta 2 leaving my Gen 5 out of it until after the official release in the fall. My Gen 3 is a 1Tb, 6Gb iPad Pro.

So far I have self-declared Photos as a total massacre and definitely not ready for prime time. Navigation is terrible … buggy and ridden with bugs. I know this was supposed to be a major revision; but, there are way too many problems overall. Various views do not pull up everything, pictures disappear when editing info, comments from info do not appear or save when moving a photo to a sg]hared album. Photos and shared albums are extremely critical, so I am avoiding it totally this round.

Saving files from a non-apple based web app to the files app results in unpredicted lock-ups of the external web app that requires killing the app and restarting it at times because it does not unfreeze. The only predictable thing is that it happens most of the time after the third save.

When running iPadOS 18 beta 2 the first time, scrolling through the app pages was extremely jerky and delayed. Tha seems to have cleared up though.

Movement of app icons on a page to positions that leave gaps between icons as pre-announced does nor work at all. The still snap back to fill from top down and left to right. Moving them sometimes results in the icons disappearing until a movement or launch of an app occurs and then it comes back.

I haven’t even scratched the surface with all of the apps I have and probable will only test major ones since they nay not themselves be ready for iPadOS 18. IPhone is totally out of the question. I am contemplating a downgrade to 17.5.1 today because I see too many isdues the impact my normal workflow; but, I’ll hang on for a few more days of testing and logging issues with Apple through their feedback mechanism.

GRK

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Midwest USA
Here’s the calculator I use, and in my opinion, superior to the new Apple one, but lacking pencil input. It’s the perfect size to firt a Pro Max phone screen and just looks/feels like areal calculator. Included manual is ~278 pages.

Uwux8Nbl.png

Tom
(I bought this 5 years ago and forgot how much $;I wanna say $9.99 but faulty memory)
I still use Numerari with it’s unconventional appearance but high degree of functionality. However, the developers are slowly abandoning it with no appreciable updates in the past 3 iPadOS versions.

Attachments

• IMG_4784.png
    IMG_4784.png
    1 MB · Views: 26
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.