Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGuy84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
So I just picked up an new iPad Pro a couple of days ago and I’m loving it so far. Today my wife was using the Apple Pencil for about an hour inside of a Coloring book app. When she handed the iPad back to me I noticed it was pretty warm, mostly on the bottom-left quadrant of the screen(while oriented vertically). I did a little googling and I saw a couple of threads on reddit with similar concerns but not really much information.

It was pretty warm but not uncomfortably hot, just warm enough for you to notice and prefer to move your hand from the area. I can feel it on the actual screen as well as along the metal bezel. I let the iPad rest for a bit and maybe 30 mins later used it to watch some YouTube where it got a little warm again.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance guys.

-I also had the apple keyboard on it but it was folded back in “tablet mode”

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
So I just picked up an new iPad Pro a couple of days ago and I’m loving it so far. Today my wife was using the Apple Pencil for about an hour inside of a Coloring book app. When she handed the iPad back to me I noticed it was pretty warm, mostly on the bottom-left quadrant of the screen(while oriented vertically). I did a little googling and I saw a couple of threads on reddit with similar concerns but not really much information.

It was pretty warm but not uncomfortably hot, just warm enough for you to notice and prefer to move your hand from the area. I can feel it on the actual screen as well as along the metal bezel. I let the iPad rest for a bit and maybe 30 mins later used it to watch some YouTube where it got a little warm again.

My iPad Pro gets warm too.

MacGuy84

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Thanks so far guys! So I spent a little time with apple tech support last night, really didn’t offer much insight.
I feel like my 12.9 incher stays a.most magically cool no matter what I throw at it.
Thanks I downloaded the app and I have an appointment later today. Really not sure what to expect. What concerns me is that we weren’t really doing anything “intensive”. Unless you can qualify the coloringbook app in that category...
If that’s the case what kind of temperatures should I expect when I’m clipping together small videos or editing photos? That’s really why I bought the iPad Pro, for my restaurants social media presence, having it with me at all times I can’t make excuses that I’ll do it when I get home. And all these apps that make things so easy with my fingertips.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks I downloaded the app and I have an appointment later today. Really not sure what to expect. What concerns me is that we weren’t really doing anything “intensive”. Unless you can qualify the coloringbook app in that category...

Well that really depends how it's been programmed.

If that’s the case what kind of temperatures should I expect when I’m clipping together small videos or editing photos? That’s really why I bought the iPad Pro, for my restaurants social media presence, having it with me at all times I can’t make excuses that I’ll do it when I get home. And all these apps that make things so easy with my fingertips.

I don't know; All I've experienced with my 12.9 3rd gen in terms of heat - while doing medium intensity work (I don't think I've ever done anything on it that for its chip is high intensity) is "Oh that's comfortable". Like, temperatures that wouldn't make me want to move my hand away, but rather closer to the hotspots, haha

Reactions: MacGuy84

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Every iPad and iPhone ever gets warm in the area where the cpu is, after using any app that uses that cpu intensively. So it seems like normal behavior to me.

Warm, sure. Warm to the point that you'd want to move your hand away from that area? I wouldn't say so. Especially on a device with as large a cooling surface as the iPad Pro.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Warm, sure. Warm to the point that you'd want to move your hand away from that area? I wouldn't say so. Especially on a device with as large a cooling surface as the iPad Pro.

Depends on what you mean by “want”. Some people are more sensitive than others. For example, I’ve owned 3 iPad Pros and several regular iPads, whenever they would get warm, I would want to move my hand away from that area, because I like the surface to be cold.

Reactions: rui no onna

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Depends on what you mean by “want”. Some people are more sensitive than others. For example, I’ve owned 3 iPad Pros and several regular iPads, whenever they would get warm, I would want to move my hand away from that area, because I like the surface to be cold.
I suppose that is quite a subjective matter, yes. I just think the most I’ve experienced is a comfortable, nice warmth.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My neighbors 12.9 get uncomfortably warm while playing some games. Not to hot to touch but warm enough to make you want to move your hand away.

It is the only way the iPad can shed it's heat!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Every iPad and iPhone ever gets warm in the area where the cpu is, after using any app that uses that cpu intensively. So it seems like normal behavior to me.
I know that. But if the warmth is quite noticeable, I would say it is a bit abnormal, even during an intensive game play.

Tommaso Ammannati

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020

Me too!
some news?
is normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.