Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dia3olik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
Hey guys,
when I eject USB drives on my MM2018 the drives spindown after eject as expected,
but then they just spin up again (staying unmounted from the OS tho).
Never happened on my other Macs, is it happening on yours too?
Thx!

dia3olik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
hey guys!
anyone???
same thing happens on an iMac too with the latest Mojave, did you guys know how to solve this?
Already tried energy settings with drive sleep on or off it's the same.
Thanks!

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I have had this happen before, and what I usually do is put my Mac to sleep so the drive spins down again, and then I unplug it.

No idea why it happens, but it hasn't happened to me in awhile, running the latest Mojave.

dia3olik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
Thanks Duncan, so now when you eject a drive from the finder it spindown and don't spinup again?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Which drives do you have that exhibit this behavior? I have a LaCie and Samsung that do not spin up again once ejected from my iMac.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks Duncan, so now when you eject a drive from the finder it spindown and don't spinup again?

On my two newer USB drives it now works properly. I have one very old drive that never spins down at all. Again, I just put the Mac to sleep after ejecting the drive, and then unplug the drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Could be the drive's controller board not "interacting right" with the Mini.
I've seen similar behavior with some drives on my own 2018 Mini.
This seems to be more likely on drives that don't have a physical on/off switch, but instead rely on the "presence of bus power" to turn them on/off (via some kind of internal switch or controller).

Solution (well, for me, it's "the solution", though others might not agree):
Once you dismount the drive, power it down -- this means pulling its power block out of the power strip if need be.
If it has a power switch, turn it off.
Or -- physically disconnect the USB cable.

Rant:
Whatever happened to "on/off" switches on peripherals?
It was easy to just reach back and "turn it off" when you didn't need it.
But they're mostly gone these days.

dia3olik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
now I have an iMac 27" 5K 2019...same thing...do any of you know how to check if it's caused by some kernel extensions? I have a LaCie raid and I have their utility installed, wondering if it could be the culprit?

dia3olik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Italy
anyone? please help ;-)
maybe someone of you know how to check what's causing the drives to spin up again after ejecting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.