Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Come in to Micro Center at 80 E Ogden Ave. in Westmont, IL to get the new Late 2018 MacBook Air for $200 off for a limited time! 128GB model (MREA2LL/A, MRE82LL/A, MREE2LL/A) for $999.99 or 256GB model (MRE92LL/A, MREF2LL/A) for 1299.99! https://www.microcenter.com/search/...ist=850958+850982+850842+850859+850974+851022 Pick yours up today!
that's at all Micro Centers, nation-wide. Found the same deal here in Dallas. Now you know why the full retail price for Air's is so high; it's so they can discount them for holiday sales at places like Best Buy and Micro Center.

Edit: I paid Apple $1200 for my 128GB Air, but I'm going to refund it first thing and pick up a 256GB Air at Micro Center. FYI, the 256GB Air is $1199, not $1299. Thanks for the tip!!

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Great deal. Suprised they have it that much off already.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Can someone explain to me how they can sell them at this price? Are they taking a loss or does Apple refund them the difference? I've always wondered how 3rd party companies have the ability to do this. It doesn't make sense to me. Though I'm not complaining :)

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Can someone explain to me how they can sell them at this price? Are they taking a loss or does Apple refund them the difference? I've always wondered how 3rd party companies have the ability to do this. It doesn't make sense to me. Though I'm not complaining :)

Stores pay for things under retail price.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Does anyone know how close a "local" store has to be for Best Buy to price match? The nearest Microcenter is 32 miles away from my Best Buy.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Stores pay for things under retail price.
I always thought Apple doesn't discount that much to Best Buy, Staples etc. Which was one of the reasons they don't like carrying Apple products (low profit margin for them). I highly doubt Apple is giving MicroCenter a 20% discount.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Or Maybe the cost to manufacture these is really really low? I don’t think either Apple or Micro Center is taking a loss on these. I think Apple has built-in plenty of margin in the full selling price so that they can discount them to their third-party sellers and still make a killing. I mean, these are made in China, right? My guess is they cost about $400 bucks to make. So with that price in mind, do the math. Of course, I could be way off on this theory. I usually am. LOL.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Or Maybe the cost to manufacture these is really really low? I don’t think either Apple or Micro Center is taking a loss on these. I think Apple has built-in plenty of margin in the full selling price so that they can discount them to their third-party sellers and still make a killing. I mean, these are made in China, right? My guess is they cost about $400 bucks to make. So with that price in mind, do the math. Of course, I could be way off on this theory. I usually am. LOL.

It's just odd that Apple is essentially competing with themselves (their own stores). How does that make sense for Apple? Like I'm sure anyone who can return their regular priced MBA purchased from the Apple Store will do so and buy one here. Seems so bizarre. I would love to know what a giant like Best Buy pays for Apple products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.