Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about the concept? (You may select multiple options)

• Total voters

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Here is a concept of the 2018 MacBook Air:

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 1.37.00 PM.png

Air 2018 top view.jpg

Air Side 2018.jpeg
It will have the same chassis and footprint as the current 13" MacBook Air, but with a larger Retina display and reduced bezels. Apple will likely standardise the keyboard of their MacBook lineup and go with their controversial butterfly keyboard, as reflected in the concept. The current hinged trackpad will be supplanted by the Force Touch trackpad.
Per Apple tradition, the Magsafe, USB 3 and Thunderbolt 2 ports will be removed in favour of USB-C ports. The SD card slot will also be axed. However, the headphone jack will be retained.

Here are some concept pictures of the 2018 MacBook Air models on Apple's website:
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 10.32.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.03.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.01.13 PM.png

Last edited:

lllfyc

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2015
yes pretty much look like this based on all the rumors as of today.

still the question of if this does happen, who will buy the MB12.

instead, I guess they are more likely to make a MB14" just everything same from MB12, tho more ports are welcome.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States

instead, I guess they are more likely to make a MB14" just everything same from MB12, tho more ports are welcome.

Remember, Apple currently sells a base model MacBook Pro that only has two USB-C ports. This model was not refreshed with the Touch Bar MacBook Pro models this year, so it could be discontinued and replaced by the upcoming 2018 MacBook Air.

The 12" MacBook is definitely losing its value right now because of the high price, underpowered processors and the 12.9" iPad Pro being far cheaper. My guess is Apple will refresh the 12" MacBook's CPU and market it as an ultra-thin, small premium laptop.

The 13" MacBook 'Air' will be the "budget" laptop with slower processors (compared to the 2018 MacBook Pro) and it replaces the baseline MacBook Pro (without Touch Bar).

This further differentiates the MacBook Pro lineup from other MacBook models.

This kind of makes the 12" MacBook the de facto MacBook Air, and the 2018 MacBook Air will be more appropriately identified as the MacBook.

Reactions: radiologyman

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If this turns out to be what Apple release I’m definitely ordering/pre-ordering one!

Well done with making the render it looks great.

Have you made it based on what the rumours and reports from Mark Gurman and Ming Chi Kuo have been saying?

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
The footprint can't stay the same if the bezels are reduced and the screen size stays the same.

Nice render

Well, I did mention that it would be a larger Retina display. I tried to make the entire MacBook lineup as diverse as possible. So there's a 12" MacBook, 13" MacBook Pro, 14" (approx.) MacBook Air and 15" MacBook Pro.

It's kind of wishful thinking because a "budget" laptop from Apple wouldn't possibly have such a big screen, but I can dream. I did include an option in the poll that said "The screen is too big". So far, no one has complained about the larger screen in the same amount of footprint.
[doublepost=1534955027][/doublepost]
If this turns out to be what Apple release I’m definitely ordering/pre-ordering one!

Well done with making the render it looks great.

Have you made it based on what the rumours and reports from Mark Gurman and Ming Chi Kuo have been saying?

Thanks! Yes, my renders are mostly based off rumours as seen on MacRumors, and also what I think Apple might do. Realistically, Apple is not likely going to keep Magsafe and the current keyboard design etc. because they want to standardise their product lineups' features for the future (e.g. all models will have USB-C, butterfly keyboard only). This is why Apple killed off the Early-2015 15-inch MacBook Pro in July.

I think a lot of people definitely want a MacBook Air with the classic keyboard design, SD card slot and other legacy ports, but based on Apple's decisions in the past, I believe if they indeed introduce a 2018 MacBook Air, the classic design elements will be gone.

That being said, there is a slim chance Apple will simply replace the MacBook Air's existing screen with a Retina display and newer processors and call it a day. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Thanks! Yes, my renders are mostly based off rumours as seen on MacRumors, and also what I think Apple might do. Realistically, Apple is not likely going to keep Magsafe and the current keyboard design etc. because they want to standardise their product lineups' features for the future (e.g. all models will have USB-C, butterfly keyboard only). This is why Apple killed off the Early-2015 15-inch MacBook Pro in July.

I think a lot of people definitely want a MacBook Air with the classic keyboard design, SD card slot and other legacy ports, but based on Apple's decisions in the past, I believe if they indeed introduce a 2018 MacBook Air, the classic design elements will be gone.

That being said, there is a slim chance Apple will simply replace the MacBook Air's existing screen with a Retina display and newer processors and call it a day. Time will tell.

Yea I think Apple will remove the ports and put in the butterfly keyboard. It will be great to thin down those bezels and add a Retina display, people have been asking for that for a long time. I really think they will sell well, which is why I think Apple has an estimate of around 8 million sales according to one of the reports a few months back, they know it will sell well.

Give me a retina screen, thin down the bezels keep the wedge shape and I don’t even mind it being bigger and heavier than the 12” MacBook, update the specs and I buy one on day one!

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Yea I think Apple will remove the ports and put in the butterfly keyboard. It will be great to thin down those bezels and add a Retina display, people have been asking for that for a long time. I really think they will sell well, which is why I think Apple has an estimate of around 8 million sales according to one of the reports a few months back, they know it will sell well.

Give me a retina screen, thin down the bezels keep the wedge shape and I don’t even mind it being bigger and heavier than the 12” MacBook, update the specs and I buy one on day one!

Yeah. Keeping the current footprint means the same excellent battery life that the Air has right now. More power efficient processors will compensate for the larger screen in my concept, ideally.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah. Keeping the current footprint means the same excellent battery life that the Air has right now. More power efficient processors will compensate for the larger screen in my concept, ideally.

Having the same 12 hours of battery life would be awesome.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Is it likely to happen tho do you think? Really hope they announce it at the September event rather than keeping us waiting for an October one.

Well, the 2016 MacBook Pro was announced during a separate October event rather than together with the iPhone 7, but it was a major redesign.

If happening at all, the MacBook Air will either be unveiled at the September iPhone event, or the update will come quietly and out of the blue, as with the 2018 MacBook Pro refresh.

Or...Apple could host a sweet October event that will showcase the new Mac Mini Pro (?), updated Mac Mini models, a new MacBook Air, a MacBook processor refresh, and even a teaser of the new Mac Pro coming next year (likely impossible, but...who knows?).

The only thing I really believe is that this 2018 MacBook Air will very likely be happening, because there is a demand for it. Apple will lose out big time if they don't release this highly-anticipated MacBook. Regarding the release date, I don't know. Like you, I am hoping Apple will announce it as soon as possible, and the September event seems most appropriate in my opinion (it receives the most attention and media coverage).

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 4.19.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 2.25.29 AM.png

Air Side 2018.jpeg

This is a concept of a complete 2018 MacBook Air lineup refresh, which includes two models.

The 11 and 13-inch MacBook Air models will both be updated with larger Retina displays and reduced bezels (less bezels, more screen). Battery life remains the same as the previous-generation MacBook Air lineup—9 hours on the smaller MacBook Air, 12 hours on the larger model.

Legacy ports such as Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3 will be superseded by USB-C ports. Magsafe will be discontinued in favour of USB-C charging. The headphone jack will be retained. The current scissor-mechanism keyboard will be replaced with Apple's butterfly keyboard, and the hinged trackpad will be supplanted by a larger Force Touch trackpad.

This concept is actually an extension of the 2018 13-inch MacBook Air concept I published in another Macrumors forum post (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-13-inch-macbook-air-concept.2133526/). For this post, I showed renderings of an updated "11-inch" MacBook Air, alongside the new "13-inch" MacBook Air from the other post (quotation marks because the screens are larger than said dimensions).

I know that a refreshed 11-inch MacBook Air is not ever going to happen, because it is succeeded by the 12" MacBook. However, it's still nice to be able to visualise futuristic-looking MacBook Air models.

Last edited:

Standard

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Canada
Nice work. Looks great. What did you build this in?

Do you guys think it is possible that this MBA refresh could have reasonably specced quad core CPU's with 16GB RAM for higher build to order machines?

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Nice work. Looks great. What did you build this in?

Do you guys think it is possible that this MBA refresh could have reasonably specced quad core CPU's with 16GB RAM for higher build to order machines?

I think Apple probably wouldn't be willing to offer quad-core processors for the 2018 MBA. Instead, they will "force" you to buy the 2018 MacBook Pro models if you want more power. The Air will need more thermal cooling capabilities for quad-core processors, and I believe Apple isn't looking to implement extra cooling on their supposed "budget" laptop (neither will they provide a larger screen, so my concept is kind of unrealistic...).

Technologytwitt

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
I have a mid 2011 MBA that still works very well... and I have the original 2015 iPad Pro.

I'd love a new toy - the question is (taking in to account price only) 2018 iPad Pro or 2018 Macbook?

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
I have a mid 2011 MBA that still works very well... and I have the original 2015 iPad Pro.

I'd love a new toy - the question is (taking in to account price only) 2018 iPad Pro or 2018 Macbook?

I would seriously lean towards the 2018 iPad Pro, because it's much more versatile for users like me. The Apple Pencil will be indispensable if I ever get an iPad Pro (I draw and edit images quite a fair bit). To me, the MacBook feels underpowered, but I have never owned and used one before, so I can't provide a fair opinion on it. It lacks the ability to do many tasks at once (assumption because of the slow CPU and RAM), lacks the ports, has a higher price tag than the 12.9" iPad Pro bundled with the "smart" keyboard and Apple Pencil, and has a smaller screen. For me, it seems like Apple designed the MacBook for lightweight web browsing.

The only bummer with the iPad Pro is it doesn't run macOS. if Apple makes a custom iOS—macOS hybrid for the iPad Pro, I will definitely choose the tablet over the MacBook. For me, right now the iPad Pro feels inadequate and can't replace a MacBook, whereas the MacBook is really costly and not super value for money.

Based on my needs, I'd rather pick the iPad Pro, throw in the Pencil and the Keyboard, save some money, compromise and pray that Apple would release a hybrid laptop/tablet OS for the Pro, than own a MacBook. That's just me.

Reactions: Technologytwitt

Technologytwitt

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2018
I'm leaning towards the iPad Pro too... I already use a wireless keyboard and I have the pencil.

I agree on the OS, but feel that iOS12 will be another jump in the direction of our expectations.

Thanks

I would seriously lean towards the 2018 iPad Pro, because it's much more versatile for users like me. The Apple Pencil will be indispensable if I ever get an iPad Pro (I draw and edit images quite a fair bit). To me, the MacBook feels underpowered, but I have never owned and used one before, so I can't provide a fair opinion on it. It lacks the ability to do many tasks at once (assumption because of the slow CPU and RAM), lacks the ports, has a higher price tag than the 12.9" iPad Pro bundled with the "smart" keyboard and Apple Pencil, and has a smaller screen. For me, it seems like Apple designed the MacBook for lightweight web browsing.

The only bummer with the iPad Pro is it doesn't run macOS. if Apple makes a custom iOS—macOS hybrid for the iPad Pro, I will definitely choose the tablet over the MacBook. For me, right now the iPad Pro feels inadequate and can't replace a MacBook, whereas the MacBook is really costly and not super value for money.

Based on my needs, I'd rather pick the iPad Pro, throw in the Pencil and the Keyboard, save some money, compromise and pray that Apple would release a hybrid laptop/tablet OS for the Pro, than own a MacBook. That's just me.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
I'm leaning towards the iPad Pro too... I already use a wireless keyboard and I have the pencil.

I agree on the OS, but feel that iOS12 will be another jump in the direction of our expectations.

Thanks

No problem. Expectations are higher than ever before. Apple touts the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement right now, but I'm quite skeptical. With the 2018 iPad Pros coming very soon and iOS 13 next year, I hope to see significant advances being made that will ultimately bring us closer to a legitimate basic laptop successor (i.e. the MacBook). The MacBook Pros are here to stay for a while longer.

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Looks nice! I think there is a small chance they keep a legacy USB-3 port given the needs of the education market they are trying to serve.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
Looks nice! I think there is a small chance they keep a legacy USB-3 port given the needs of the education market they are trying to serve.

Yes, I think that keeping a USB-3 port will benefit many students. But because Apple is so design-oriented and "forward thinking", they might choose to ditch legacy ports with any new product their introducing. The best Apple can do is provide a USB to USB-C adapter in the box, or as a gift for any back-to-school promotion purchase (the adapter will probably be more practical and productive than Beats headphones).

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
They've yet to release an updated MacBook pro without Touch Bar so it's a big question mark where an updated MBA would be standing among these. I expect that the entire non-touchbar lineup will see some major reconstruction so I'd lean towards an October event.

isaac_appleweed

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
United States
give me that design with 10 to 12 hour battery life, a 512 SSD and 16 Gigs of Ram for under 2K and I’m sold

The benefit of keeping the same chassis is more space for more batteries, compared to the 2018 MacBook Pro. 512GB SSD and 16 GB Ram definitely viable, but it could potentially cost more than 2k.

They've yet to release an updated MacBook pro without Touch Bar so it's a big question mark where an updated MBA would be standing among these. I expect that the entire non-touchbar lineup will see some major reconstruction so I'd lean towards an October event.

I'm not so sure if there will be any major redesign introduced for the MacBook. The Air could be getting some design elements that already exist on other new MacBook models, and that isn't really worth an event. Usually, events aren't held for the unveiling of processor/ incremental updates either. I think the Air will not be significantly reworked because it's suppose to be a "budget" laptop, and the MacBook's design hasn't reached the end of the cycle. My guess is that the non-touch bar Pro will be ditched in favour of the Air, and to further differentiate the Pro from other MacBook models.

Unless another Mac-related product is receiving a substantial refresh (e.g. Mac Mini) or some surprise product is coming, I think an October Event will likely not happen. But I wouldn't rule anything out...time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.