Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ecogstage5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
I have noticed the picture quality on the facetime camera appears significantly more grainy and washed out on my 15 inch 2018 MBP compared with my 2015 13 inch MBP and my partners 2017 air. All 3 should have a 720p camera. I have found no change with adjusting displaying settings. It is kind of ****** to spend 3.5k on a computer upgrade and get a worse picture than the 3 year older model. Anyone else seeing similar picture quality?

Last edited:

bcc9

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
Yes, I reported basically this over here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/lens-flare-with-built-in-hd-cam-on-2018-macbook.2128932
but there were no constructive responses.
If you have the defect, overhead light with no other light sources can make the whole frame appear grainy. If you shield the lens from the overhead with your fingertip then the whole frame suddenly will sharpen.
I took my laptop in to the store and compared it with store models, and they did not exhibit the same problem, so I RMA'd mine, and am now stuck in RMA wait, grumble. Store couldn't even handle the RMA, had to return ship my laptop instead...

Ecogstage5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
Yes, I reported basically this over here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/lens-flare-with-built-in-hd-cam-on-2018-macbook.2128932
but there were no constructive responses.
If you have the defect, overhead light with no other light sources can make the whole frame appear grainy. If you shield the lens from the overhead with your fingertip then the whole frame suddenly will sharpen.
I took my laptop in to the store and compared it with store models, and they did not exhibit the same problem, so I RMA'd mine, and am now stuck in RMA wait, grumble. Store couldn't even handle the RMA, had to return ship my laptop instead...

I am not sure I am having the same issue as mine is unaffected by overhead lights or covering the top of the camera. It almost appears as if the colour contrast and definition is worse.

bcc9

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I am not sure I am having the same issue as mine is unaffected by overhead lights or covering the top of the camera. It almost appears as if the colour contrast and definition is worse.
Hmm, yes, that sounds different. Recommend doing an in store comparison like I did to see if yours looks "normal" compared to the store models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.