Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabrams1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Recently got a secondhand hand me down 2018 15" Pro from a family member for free. I haven't really been in the loop with this generation MacBook Pros but I'm fully aware of the terrible reputation this generation has specifically with the butterfly keyboard. I wanted to know for the 2018 I know it still suffers from the issues, but is there anything preventative I can do the prevent the keyboard issues from popping up or at least ways to mitigate issues? Should I use a keyboard cover or don't even bother at all with one? And before anyone says I should trade it in for a M series laptop, that's not in the cards for me right now. I plan on keeping this laptop for at least another couple years before I get a M series laptop in the future since it's a perfectly fine and free working laptop with no issues right now. But I wanted to gather some information about some possible remedies or mitigation techniques for the keyboard so it doesn't fail in the meantime I'm using it.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Recently got a secondhand hand me down 2018 15" Pro from a family member for free. I haven't really been in the loop with this generation MacBook Pros but I'm fully aware of the terrible reputation this generation has specifically with the butterfly keyboard. I wanted to know for the 2018 I know it still suffers from the issues, but is there anything preventative I can do the prevent the keyboard issues from popping up or at least ways to mitigate issues?
There’s nothing you can do to make the keyboard less likely to fail.

Reactions: kitKAC

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it's truly a "hand-me-down" (i.e., you got it "for free"), then just... use it.

Like chrfr says, there really isn't anything you can do to "prevent" a keyboard failure.
If it's going to happen, well... it's going to happen.

If it DOES happen, be aware that it is a VERY expensive "fix" -- expect to pay $700 or more, because the ENTIRE TOP CASE must be replaced -- even for the failure of only one key.

If you experience a keyboard failure, I wouldn't pay this.
I'd plug in a USB keyboard for now, and start shopping for a replacement.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Recently got a secondhand hand me down 2018 15" Pro from a family member for free. I haven't really been in the loop with this generation MacBook Pros but I'm fully aware of the terrible reputation this generation has specifically with the butterfly keyboard. I wanted to know for the 2018 I know it still suffers from the issues, but is there anything preventative I can do the prevent the keyboard issues from popping up or at least ways to mitigate issues? Should I use a keyboard cover or don't even bother at all with one? And before anyone says I should trade it in for a M series laptop, that's not in the cards for me right now. I plan on keeping this laptop for at least another couple years before I get a M series laptop in the future since it's a perfectly fine and free working laptop with no issues right now. But I wanted to gather some information about some possible remedies or mitigation techniques for the keyboard so it doesn't fail in the meantime I'm using it.

There's a Servicing Program should that happen.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

dabrams1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Understood. Thanks for all the input. It's rather unfortunate nothing can be done if the keyboard does go. Only thing to do is just keep using it breaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.