Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I have a request for 2018 Macbook Pro owners. Can you please press the very bottom right corner of your down arrow key repeatedly, and ensure that each press registers? Video demonstration of issue below.

Backstory: 2016 and 2017 Macbook Pros appear to have had an issue where presses of the half-sized arrow keys do not always register, particularly when the very top of the top arrow or very bottom of the bottom arrow key was pressed. I went through a top case replacement and then a replacement machine (upgrading from a 2016 to a 2017), only to encounter this issue each time. For the first couple of months, I thought I was just having trouble getting used to the small target (i.e. I was missing the key), but after a closer look I noticed that the way I reach down to the arrow keys with my thumb means I'm usually hitting the very edge of the key. What's worse: this does not appear to be connected with dust/debris in the keyboard, but rather is a day-one reproducible issue on many, if not all of these models.

Video demonstration:

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
What's worse: this does not appear to be connected with dust/debris in the keyboard, but rather is a day-one reproducible issue on many, if not all of these models.

Well... I've also had keys not functioning just a couple of days after a topcase replace. It's dust/debris. Sometimes it comes sooner, sometimes it comes later, but eventually it comes. At least on new Macbooks. Take the computer back for another topcase replacement. Nothing else you can do.

2018 15 inch - no issues like this so far.

Reactions: monstermac77

CB98

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
the one i returned had that issue as well ... also, the up and down arrow keys sounded much different than the others...
No issue for me...mine are louder and feel more clicky than the rest of the keyboard but I think that is down to the size of the keys.

Reactions: monstermac77

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
2018 15" MacBook Pro here, can't seem to reproduce it. For me each key press works perfectly.

markusberger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
i found this strange as well, but my machine had a couple of issues, see https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...litch-freeze-can-someone-please-test.2129323/ ... had the german layout, looks like this. the keys did react alright in the week i had the mbp. the up and down keys just made (compared to all other keys) a very unpleasant, high pitched click which i found very odd..

2018-08-27 (19).png

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
On my 2016 MBP, if I press the up or down arrow very slowly/gently, it will not register. The position on the key does not matter. It has always been that way -- but I never find it an issue in regular use...

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
On my 2016 MBP, if I press the up or down arrow very slowly/gently, it will not register. The position on the key does not matter. It has always been that way -- but I never find it an issue in regular use...

I find my 2016 down arrow only faults if I hit it low and soft, center or with a normal stroke anywhere it always registers. I don't think it is an issue. I could make a video like the one above showing fault on any 2016-2018 keyboard. Look at the finger closely, whats it hitting the key or the aluminum. Thats a Troll video, far different than random sticking keys or random keys that do not register at all.

Not that that has anything to do with your post poorcody, I just added to it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: poorcody

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mine works, are you saying you're having a key failure on a 2018 keyboard?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
A slight different noise makes sense. The physical implement is different because of the small up and down keys. Mine also sound a bit tinny compared to the other keys. And they seem to require a slightly harder push. I suspect this is because the keys are so small I am pushing with less surface area of my finger.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
Mine works, are you saying you're having a key failure on a 2018 keyboard?

Good to know, thanks. No, I've had this issue on my 2016 Macbook Pro and then my (replacement) 2017 Macbook Pro. I'm trying to gauge if it's a problem for 2018 owners, since I don't want to upgrade only to have the same fate.

michaeljbrewis

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm having the same issue with my MacBook Pro 2018 13" I have already had 2 top case replacements so as you can imagine I'm not happy. Apple Support said to ask for a manager when I go into store and go to the Genius Bar to see what they can do to help. My down arrow key is so unresponsive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.