Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
2018 Macbook pro 13
2.3 GHz i5
16 GB ram
512 HD
Running 10.14.1

I have a new Macbook Pro 13 about 4 weeks old. Last week I started having wifi connectivity problems where it says "try moving closer to the wireless router". The computer hasn't moved and I have another mac air right next to it functioning fine off the same wireless network it's been using for the last 4 years.

I called apple support, reset wifi, reset SMAC and PRAM, restarted everything, no luck. I start backing up my hard drive to take it to the apple store for service, then about 40 min in my wifi connects and all of my browser windows open. It runs fine for 5 days, then this morning I get the same problem again. WiFI will not connect, the message I get is to move closer to the wireless router.

Hardware diagnostic does not reveal a hardware issue.

Today 1 restart did not fix the issue, but multiple restarts, running hardware diagnostic, and going into safe mode did. Next step is reinstalling OSX in hopes the problem doesn't come back.

Anyone else having this issue?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
and going into safe mode did.
If safe mode fixed it, that is a big clue. Safe mode stops all third party utilities and apps from launching at startup. So if a safe mode boot fixes it, that tells you you have some incompatible login or startup item causing this.

Look in the users & groups login items and also in these folders for any items that may be causing this.

~/Library/LaunchAgents (~ is your users folder)
/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems
/System/Library/Extensions/

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Also, what brand router are you using? There are some out there that have compatibility issues with Macs

Well he has an Air with no issues so probably not to do with Macs. There are also days where it has worked fine.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Well he has an Air with no issues so probably not to do with Macs. There are also days where it has worked fine.
I'm not trying to call you out, but due to the complexity of wifi standards, it doesn't mean anything nowadays. I spent two months working a compatibility issue with Netgear that's similar to this...if not the same. Basically, some of my Apple computers would not connect to my wifi while others did. The only common thing was that some were apple computers. Netgear did conclude from the logs that it was an Apple compatibility issue. They didn't elaborate on what component was the culprit, but they did release a firmware update that fixed all my devices. I think it might by the "k" protocol.

TitusVorenus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
If safe mode fixed it, that is a big clue. Safe mode stops all third party utilities and apps from launching at startup. So if a safe mode boot fixes it, that tells you you have some incompatible login or startup item causing this.

I don't think it's safe mode. I should have been clearer. The first time I tried to connect in safe mode and it would not. This time on the second reboot into safe mode it worked, but safe mode coincided with a reboot, so there's more evidence it was the reboot than safe mode.

Also, what brand router are you using? There are some out there that have compatibility issues with Macs

ASUS, what's commonly referred to as the dark knight router, I forget the model number.

Exactly. It worked fine for the most part, and is working fine again now.

I'm not trying to call you out, but due to the complexity of wifi standards, it doesn't mean anything nowadays. I spent two months working a compatibility issue with Netgear that's similar to this...if not the same. Basically, some of my Apple computers would not connect to my wifi while others did. The only common thing was that some were apple computers. Netgear did conclude from the logs that it was an Apple compatibility issue. They didn't elaborate on what component was the culprit, but they did release a firmware update that fixed all my devices. I think it might by the "k" protocol.

My router firmware is current. After a call with apple support, I reinstalled the OSX and it seems to be working again. Last time it took about 5 days before the error started, so now I'm just waiting to see if it happens again.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Asus has some models out there that had issues with Apple hardware...but mainly the phones.. Firmware updates usually fix it as well...or merlin's build.

William Forrest

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2017
This WiFi problem seems very similar to the problems reported on two other 'Threads' on MacRumors. Now I'm wondering if it's Mojave. I just installed it and 'upgraded' it to 10.14.2. I never had this problem with High Sierra. Unfortunately, I don't know how or if I could regress to High Sierra, which worked just fine for me.

On the first thread I read I posted:

My 2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch, serial number C...925 just started giving those WiFi errors. It's getting no information through the WiFi connection (I call it 'WiFi deaf'). I can tell because when I click the WiFi icon, it shows only my own, home router. When the WiFi is working, I see 5-10 other connections available. I have no router password on purpose -- anyone who detects my signal could use my internet connection, even me! Even though the Mac asserts there's a connection, there isn't. I can't contact anything on the internet, for instance google.com. I can't contact my HDHomerun over-the-air TV box which is plugged into the wireless router. It's done it about twice so far. Each time starting around 6 PM. Turning off then back on WiFi doesn't fix it. Just as despair sets in, miraculously WiFi starts working again. Typically after about 2 hours of panic. This condition exposes how dependent on the internet I've become.

So far, it's happened twice. Next time, I'm going to hook up a wired connection to my router, just to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the problem is my Mac's WiFi reception which has 'gone South', i.e. failed.

A colleague suggested I do an SMC reset. I haven't, because the problem is intermittent, so that would be ambiguous.

By the way, this very Mac has shown the left-front USB-C failure problem. That too is intermittent, so I can't get Apple to repair it. In that case, I have 3 other USB-C ports, so I'm not just hung out to dry. Intermittent WiFi is much worse, since that's akin to instantly being transported to a Desert Island, with nothing on the horizon.

marc0janssen

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2019
I having this problem too on om my MBP 2018. This is my second new from the box.

I have a ticket open with apple. I also see problem as shown in the screenshot.

• low speeds 54mb/s (but sometimes as high as 405mb/s although my routers permit 300mb/s)
  • NO model info on the network card (empty)
  • errors on the transmitting packets
  • NO receiving packets are reported !!

And now the MBP2018 starts losing connection with wifi. I got an replacement MBP2018 from apple new from the box... same issues.

I have also a MBP 2017 which has none of these problems on my network what so ever.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2019-02-15 om 10.55.29.png
    Schermafbeelding 2019-02-15 om 10.55.29.png
    252.4 KB · Views: 189

William Forrest

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2017
I having this problem too on om my MBP 2018. This is my second new from the box.

I have a ticket open with apple. I also see problem as shown in the screenshot.

• low speeds 54mb/s (but sometimes as high as 405mb/s although my routers permit 300mb/s)
  • NO model info on the network card (empty)
  • errors on the transmitting packets
  • NO receiving packets are reported !!

And now the MBP2018 starts losing connection with wifi. I got an replacement MBP2018 from apple new from the box... same issues.

I have also a MBP 2017 which has none of these problems on my network what so ever.
Hi Marc,
My plot has thickened. It's my 2017 Macbook Pro 15" now with Mojave 10.14.3. I'm pretty sure it's a (subtle) hardware problem. I can now reliably kill my WiFi reception (there are about 10 WiFi signals I see in my living room when it's working). If I plug my Seagate 4 Tbyte drive into any of the 4 USB-C ports and mount it, all are lost. I have no WiFi, no internet.

If I unmount the Seagate, but keep it plugged in, I *can* connect to the wireless router in my living room. But I no longer see any of the other 9 or so WiFi signals I typically see, including one I remember named Gorsline. My own router gives me internet access, which is good. But the inability to see the other WiFi signals is problematic, it means the WiFi receiver has lost sensitivity.

Now, if I unplug the Seagate, doing *nothing* else, suddenly my WiFi receiver can see all 10 or so sites, including my own and the one named Gorsline. I know the contact with my home router is good because I do a Google search for 'x' or something similar.

I've reported this to an Applecare Senior Advisor. I sent an email 12 Feb. saying:

"Regarding my cases 100653501478 and before it 10037406725, my USB-related failure has reached a crescendo. It fails quite reliably now. The failure now shows up in my wireless connection. If I plug my Seagate backup drive into either of the left USB ports, the wireless fails. Whether the drive is 'mounted' or not. This is described near the end of my WirelessFailures.txt document which I attach.

I've used that same Seagate drive for backup with this machine since I first got this Macbook Pro.

When I plugged my third-party Suntrsi 'universal' hub into the two left USB ports, the computer immediately crashed. I had to unplug the hub and power down and boot up. In the past, I've used that hub many times to read memory cards and attach HDMI projectors to my Mac.

I'm fearful that my Mac will die soon, what should I do?"

So far, no reply. I think I'll call them up soon, since it's getting worse and worse. Today I was able to back up, but how about tomorrow or the next day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.