Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I am purchasing a new 2018 MBP.

I typically do light video editing and office work. Some light gaming.

I am trying to decide between 1 Terabyte and 2 Terabyte of storage.

Please advise as to which amount of Terabyte Storage is necessary.

Thanks!

Reactions: sat24 and Cloudcake

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

Thanks!
So this is entirely a personally preference. Personally I say 1 tb because the built in SSD upgrades on MacBook pros are soo insanely priced.

A 2 terabyte SSD upgrade on the 13” 2018 MacBook Pro is an $800 price jump over the 1 terabyte version. You can go and buy a 1 terabyte Samsung t5 external SSD for $330 from Amazon and still have wicked fast transfer speeds with relatively little inconvenience (these are small form factor external drives). I’d buy that and save you $570, but that’s me.

billhinge

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
I bought 512gb with my MBP 2015, after 3 years I found 512GB very restricting so wished I had 1TB. I'm going to buy the new 15" with 2TB, shouldn't have trouble filling it and money is no object (I doubt I would need 4TB!).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
512gb is all I would need. I use Dropbox to store all but the files I am working on.

You will be greatly over paying for storage if you go the Apple route. You can find portable storage way cheaper and it is fast.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong

Thanks!

As mentioned earlier this would depend on your needs. My mid2014 MBP upto last week had accumulated around 300GB worth of data. So I have 700GB free and maybe another 100GB more if I were to stop being lazy and clear out some clutter.

I was tempted to get the 2TB option for my 2018 model but thought:

1. I will definitely not be filling up the 1TB all the more the 2TB.

2. I can save myself some money

3. I don’t think it’s a good idea to save everything into a single drive simply because of the possibility of failure. So my idea of partitioning the drive into two 1TB drives if I got the 2TB was out of the question.

Look at your current system and see how much you’re currently using and see if you need the 2TB.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Reactions: jusacruiser

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Here's the way I look at it. Long term you are not going to regret the 2TB purchase. It's not the best bang for your buck and it's a luxury have.

Personally I would never go under 1TB in 2018 especially as I like the option of having Windows bootcamp.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would opt for 512GB or 256, and also use an external SSD, which you can buy for a lot less then what Apple is charging for internal storage

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Hello from 2019!

Not sure if any of you would change you mind now about what you said a year ago...

I am in the same dilemma - 1TB vs. 2TB on my 16" MBP. I am 90% sure I will go with 2TB - that way I can just stop worrying about space everytime I pull the SD card out of my A7R3 or my GoPro 4K60 footage :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.