Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayjay89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Queens, NY
Did anyone jump on the apple refurbished store, and order a 2018 iPad Pro after the announcement of the 2020 iPads?

PhallicPhillip

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
Michigan
I did. I’ve been considering moving to the 12.9” model from my current 11”. I ended up grabbing a 512 GB cellular model for less than $1200, combining refurbished + education discounts. I’ve been using the 11” as my main computer, and it pretty much does everything I need (have a girlfriend’s Macbook Pro to fall back on once a month or so when necessary). I just wanted the screen real estate since I do so many laptop tasks, and I dislike multitasking with two apps at once on the 11”. I actually purchased the new 16” macbook pro, but returned it and have decided to go all-in on the iPad Pro with the addition of touchpad/mouse support. I’m convinced that Apple wants to make the iPad a truly capable device.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
I ended up grabbing a 512 GB cellular model for less than $1200, combining refurbished + education discounts.

I looked into doing combining these discounts, mostly out of curiosity, though if the deal is good enough, you never know, right? However, I don't see any different in the regular refurbished price than when adding the education price. How do I trigger both of them? 'm looking at the 12.9 64 GB. (I currently have the 11 and don't really need to get a new iPP, but this new keyboard could be a game changer.)

PhallicPhillip

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
Michigan
I looked into doing combining these discounts, mostly out of curiosity, though if the deal is good enough, you never know, right? However, I don't see any different in the regular refurbished price than when adding the education price. How do I trigger both of them? 'm looking at the 12.9 64 GB. (I currently have the 11 and don't really need to get a new iPP, but this new keyboard could be a game changer.)
You’re right, there was no change. I didn’t catch that. And yeah I’ll be purchasing the new keyboard cover, I also think it will be a game changer. And it better be for that price!

One thing I noticed going from the 16” macbook pro and back to my iPad Pro were some things like the 120 hz display, and Face ID. I actually found these features to be more convenient than I had realized, especially the 120 hz display. I also find using the iPad more fun. I end up having interesting conversations with people when they find out I use it as my primary computer.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

PhallicPhillip

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
Michigan
I'm curious - where do you notice the 120 hz ProMotion display the most?
They really strongly contrast with scrolling, especially with a lot of text. I wouldn’t say I was noticing the ghosting (on Macbook Pro) that’s been reported, my eye probably isn’t that discerning. But with the iPad, the smooth feel is this almost intangible factor that contributes to the fun factor I mentioned. I also make use of the pencil a lot for work, and it’s very clear that the display is mimicking handwriting because of the high refresh rate.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
They really strongly contrast with scrolling, especially with a lot of text. I wouldn’t say I was noticing the ghosting (on Macbook Pro) that’s been reported, my eye probably isn’t that discerning. But with the iPad, the smooth feel is this almost intangible factor that contributes to the fun factor I mentioned. I also make use of the pencil a lot for work, and it’s very clear that the display is mimicking handwriting because of the high refresh rate.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

May I ask what you use the Apple Pencil for? Thanks in advance.

PhallicPhillip

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
Michigan
Thank you for the prompt reply.

May I ask what you use the Apple Pencil for? Thanks in advance.
I write notes for work. I’m a speech therapist for a school, and rather than carry around a notebook, I detach my keyboard and write my data collection with the pencil, as well as draw diagrams or prompts and cues for my students. Sometimes I highlight or annotate things I want them to read.

In my personal use, I use the pencil for highlighting documents and kindle books. Sometimes I use the pencil while browsing the web, or to select finer inputs on websites that aren’t touch-optimized. I‘m also looking to learn to make some extremely simple animations for YouTube videos I’d like to create.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.