Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Gang,

I would appreciate your help here since I've exhausted all my options.

My 2019 13-inch intel Macbook Pro overheats, even when no apps are open.
- Checked activity monitor and ensured background apps and start-up/Login items are controlled.
- Formatted the laptop. Reset SMC and NVRAM.
- Cleaned the laptop and used compressed air (from a safe distance).

I can't believe I paid $2200 for something that is giving me so much trouble in less than 3 years.

Is there something I could do? Or in some order? Please help.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
Out of curiosity do you have the 2 TB3 or 4 TB3 port model? I believe the 2 port models have a 15W TDP CPU whereas the 4 port ones are 28W, which could cause some discrepancies in heat. A friend of mine has been complaining to me a lot about this issue on his 2 port 2019 Intel 13" Pro, so I sent this post to him thinking it was he who had posted it. On my 4 port 2020 Intel model I can have some issues with heat but definitely nothing like what you're describing.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Unfortunately that sounds like normal for the Intel MacBooks. My 4 TB port machine could not sit on my lap without something between my legs and the computer.

Reactions: savingsomemoney

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Out of curiosity do you have the 2 TB3 or 4 TB3 port model? I believe the 2 port models have a 15W TDP CPU whereas the 4 port ones are 28W, which could cause some discrepancies in heat. A friend of mine has been complaining to me a lot about this issue on his 2 port 2019 Intel 13" Pro, so I sent this post to him thinking it was he who had posted it. On my 4 port 2020 Intel model I can have some issues with heat but definitely nothing like what you're describing.
4 port i5 8GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.