Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeMac1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2020
Hi All,

First post here, thanks for the useful information people have put together in these forums, I have often found them very useful! I do have a definitive question to ask, so here it is first:

Should my MacBook Pro be compatible with LG38wk95c monitor to be used as external display (details of the connections I tried to follow!)?
My MacBook Pro: 16" 2.3GHz 9-core i9, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, not far off top spec. (purchased Dec 2019)
macOS: Catalina 10.15.5
LG monitor: 38" ultra wide, code LG38wk95c

If someone have a similar setup and it works for them, please let me know, then at least I know it SHOULD work. You may have guessed by now that it does not work for me, and I have tried a great deal.

This is some of what I have tried already to get them to work:

(1) MBP -> usb c cable -> monitor: very poor colours, and unable to adjust contrast or sharpness on the monitor!

(2) MBP -> USB C to HDMI adopter -> HDMI -> monitor: very poor colours, and unable to adjust contrast or sharpness on the monitor! However, I can set the monitor to "hdmi compatibility mode" which improves the colours a great deal, but that results in 30 Hz refresh rate. Also the monitor manual says "hdmi compatibility mode" is intended for legacy / old machines. It should be noted I can adjust contrast and sharpness in this mode. :)

In an attempt to solve the problem, I splashed more cash on a Razer Core X + amd radeon rx 5700 xt. So adding this to the mix:

(3) MBP -> Thunderbolt 3 -> eGPU -> DP cable -> monitor: very poor colours, and unable to adjust contrast or sharpness on the monitor!

(4) MBP -> Thunderbolt 3 -> eGPU -> HDMI cable -> monitor: very poor colours, and unable to adjust contrast or sharpness on the monitor!

In fact, my problem started before this LG monitor! Last week, I actually bought an MSI 34 inch optix mag341cq, and tried all 4 setups above, the results, we worse than the above, for example (3) produced no picture or constantly flickering picture on the monitor. I was furious with...MSI of course, for producing such a defective rubbish monitor, since I thought my MBP is very obviously not the issue. So I returned it and bought the LG! Well, it didn't turn out as I thought after all!

My attempts to make it work didn't stop there, I also:
* Reset PRAM
* Reset SMC
* All of the above has been tried on both Catalina 10.15.14 and 10.15.15, with the latter after I done a complete erasure factory reset
* Install Windows 10 bootcamp on a partition. (Also did not function correctly, could not get above 30 Hz refresh rate)

I have also tried the monitor with my Windows PC, and it worked fine, correct resolution at 60 Hz. I don't think I am asking for much here...:)

I have also been in contact with Apple, who after some rambling finally decided to book a repair job for me, so I am currently waiting collection from Apple.

I still have the MBP for now, if anyone has similar experience, or have ideas for a solution, please let me know. This has been an epic fight, I feel exhausted and frankly mystified and bemused that it has turned out like this. I bought 2 iMacs and a MBP prior to this, previous 3 times, I was stingy and only bought refurbished ones on the cheap. They worked so fabulously that this time around, I committed myself to treat myself to my own MBP, all mine! :) Then this happened, hahaha :)

Well, a long post, I hope my reading my experience has provided some entertainment value!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.