Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
I bet a lot of users would like to see the tools made public for the newest Mac Pro .

The main issue is that it would require a tethered boot from another device every time you wanted to do something "cool" with the MP7,1 , like run an unsupported OS . It would become cumbersome for many after awhile ...

The checkm8 / checkra1n boot rom exploit team helped to get android and unofficial iOS versions running on iPhones .

I wonder if we can get unsupported processors to run in our T2 Macs now ? And if so , how efficiently ?

I have a hard time understanding how a tethered boot ROM exploit session can survive an NVRAM reset , which is what an unofficial processor upgraded T2 Mac would need to be fully functioning .

EXbSw4WU4AIzWQt.jpeg

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
It's the EFI that controls CPU support, not the BridgeOS. It won't change anything.

Then in order to do that , these hackers would need to find a way to exploit T2 Secure Boot to permit a modified EFI to reboot the System ?

Correct me if I'm wrong , but hackers can modify the MP7,1's EFI now , right ? It's just the changes will not survive a reboot because T2 Secure Boot won't recognize the firmware as legitimate . So , it's just an academic exercise .

I wish I had an updated flow chart of the latest Mac Boot Process , that incorporates BridgeOS , etc . Mine is two years old from Eclectic Light .

I'm not exactly certain where BridgeOS resides .

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Then in order to do that , these hackers would need to find a way to exploit T2 Secure Boot to permit a modified EFI to reboot the System ?

Correct me if I wrong , but hackers can modify the MP7,1's EFI now , right ? It's just the changes will not survive a reboot because of T2 Secure Boot won't recognize the firmware as legitimate . So , it's just an academic exercise .

I wish I had an updated flow chart of the latest Mac Boot Process , that incorporates BridgeOS , etc . Mine is two years old from Eclectic Light .

I'm not exactly certain where BridgeOS resides .

It's probably only valid for security research, nothing else. Don't make any sense to do it.

T2 starts first, running BridgeOS, then validates and sends the EFI firmware to initialise the Intel side. In reality, Apple implemented the T2 architecture in a way that T2 is the main processor and the Intel one a co-processor.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
It's probably only valid for security research, nothing else. Don't make any sense to do it.

T2 starts first, running BridgeOS, then validates and sends the EFI firmware to initialise the Intel side. In reality, Apple implemented the T2 architecture in a way that T2 is the main processor and the Intel one a co-processor.

Someone needs to make a T2 upgrade chip then :D . Preferably without it being a BGA . They'll need to crack , what , 256 AES first ?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Why?

Buy a PC workstation.

As you know , oh Silly One :p , I build and remanufacture them already .

Life is one long , continuous act of improvement , Alex .

Ever since I first became involved in manufacturing some thirty years ago , I took to heart very seriously the concept of Kaizen .

It never leaves me .

It's now my nature .

Reactions: OkiRun

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

Ever since I first became involved in manufacturing some thirty years ago , I took to heart very seriously the concept of Kaizen .

It never leaves me .

It's now my nature .
Don't make any sense to over pay for the Apple ecosystem, security and design choices to just throw it away.

Zero chances that anyone will have several millions of bucks to develop an open T-2 clone to replace it. Chips nowadays cost millions for a foundry spin. Btw, better get very good lawyers, Apple will never let anything like that have a free pass. Look at Psystar or Corellium. Corellium even had some lawful purposes, Apple drop the hammer anyway.

Want something different than what Apple offers? Buy/build a PC workstation.

Another main point, why do it since Intel already announced that the next Xeons will be released with an incompatible socket.

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
i'm not sure i understand the point re: linux. you can already disable secure boot. thats how people are installing ESXi

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan

It never leaves me .

It's now my nature .
頑張ってください!

• Love
Reactions: Snow Tiger

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
頑張ってください!

I cannot do otherwise .

It's just like the engineers and production line workers that made my Sansui AU-999 and TU-999 .

One cannot escape the conclusion those individuals would feel a lifetime of guilt if they had not done their best .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.