Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omegasz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Bulgaria
So I recently bought the new base 2019 MBP and while I didn't buy it for games or the sort I do enjoy the occasional league of legends and such. When I tried LoL on the Mac it was super smooth with high fps but the cpu was a constant 90 degrees celsius with fans at 100%. Is this harmful to the cpu and laptop altogether? The max I got on the cpu was 97 but 90 was consistent almost all the time.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is common on laptops of this size. The CPU will throttle its performance to protect itself.

Only thing I would really suggest in this circumstance is to make sure the vents are clear aka have it on a hard flat surface, maybe in elevate the back of the laptop to put a little distance between it and the surface below.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is this harmful to the cpu and laptop altogether?
Only time will tell, i.e., it doesn't last too long. One thing we know is that Intel CPUs and chipsets are rated for 100c, but there are other components and I personally think high heat isn't good for them. My opinion is just that my opinion, and no doubt it will be refuted but that doesn't negate my concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.