Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Hey guys,

Recently I purchased a 2020 27" iMac. I received it about a week and a half ago and it has been giving me graphics issues since the day that I opened the box. Attached is a video of what's going on. Please keep in mind that it only presents these issues when I'm using TG Pro and the Apple TV app. I can click outside of the currently glitching app and the glitching will end until I select the glitching app again. This issue did present itself in the Apple TV app 3 days before I upgraded to Monterey. I have 64 gigs of OWC Ram installed, however it started with these issues before any 3rd party ram or apps were installed. Is this a software or hardware issue? I ran diagnostics and everything came back normal.

Kind Regards,
-Dave

Edit: I have the 8 core model with a 5500XT GPU

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Please keep in mind that it only presents these issues when I'm using TG Pro and the Apple TV app. I can click outside of the currently glitching app and the glitching will end until I select the glitching app again.
I would think that your question about software or hardware is answered by the statement above. If the graphics appear normal everywhere else and diags are okay, then it's likely a software problem.

Reactions: davedirect

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
I would think that your question about software or hardware is answered by the statement above. If the graphics appear normal everywhere else and diags are okay, then it's likely a software problem.
Thanks for your input. I figured that as well, but its good to hear others think the same. Do you think a clean install of Mac OS would be beneficial?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
That video looks like you are in Netflix using Safari, not Apple tv app. If it occurs when you are in Safari I would be more concerned. I have a 2020 iMac, but do not use TG Pro. But I can't imagine others would not have said something if it occurred in Safari. (Some have gone on extended rants when it glitches when shutting down.)

What GPU do you have? The 5700XT has been more prone to glitching. (I have 5500XT)

Do you have four sticks of OWC RAM, or two? People have occasionally had issues using four sticks of OWC RAM, but usually kernel panics, not graphical issues

Last edited:

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
That video looks like you are in Netflix using Safari, not Apple tv app. If it occurs when you are in Safari I would be more concerned. I have a 2020 iMac, but do not use TG Pro. But I can't imagine others would not have said something if it occurred in Safari.
What GPU do you have? The 5700XT has been especially prone to glitching. (I have 5500XT)
In this video Safari is in the background and TG Pro is in the foreground. When I have TG Pro selected it only shows the application window and does not modify the menu bar, which is why it still shows Safari in the menu bar. This seems to be totally normal behavior for the app.

On other occasions it has done very similar glitching when using the Apple TV app.

I have 2 sticks of 32GB Ram, and I was getting this glitch even with the stock 8GB ram.

I have the 5500XT as well. Do the 5700XTs have glitching in a similar way to this? I've read that it's more subtle. After I recorded this video I shut down the computer and as it shut down it flashed a bunch of rainbow colors on the screen, which seemed to be more graphical glitching, and quite different from a normal shutdown.

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
In this video Safari is in the background and TG Pro is in the foreground. When I have TG Pro selected it only shows the application window and does not modify the menu bar, which is why it still shows Safari in the menu bar. This seems to be totally normal behavior for the app.

On other occasions it has done very similar glitching when using the Apple TV app.

I have 2 sticks of 32GB Ram, and I was getting this glitch even with the stock 8GB ram.

I have the 5500XT as well. Do the 5700XTs have glitching in a similar way to this? I've read that it's more subtle. After I recorded this video I shut down the computer and as it shut down it flashed a bunch of rainbow colors on the screen, which seemed to be more graphical glitching, and quite different from a normal shutdown.
OK, I installed the TG Pro v.2.62 (trial for 14 days), and tried using it with Apple TV and with Netflix on Safari in the background, pulling down the TG Pro menu from the menu bar, and so far see no glitching.

Let me know more precisely exactly what action causes the glitching I will try to replicate it.

I have 2020 iMac i7 5500XT with 2x16GB Crucial RAM, running Big Sur 11.6.1.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Update: YES! I do get severe graphical glitching when I click on the "Buy Now..." in TG Pro and it overlays the "Purchase TG Pro" dialog box - like the overlay dialog box you have saying "Thank you for trying TG Pro..."
This overlay also messes with Mission Control.
Not sure I like this app doing this.

Looks like you have nothing to worry about. Just buy TG Pro, or uninstall it.

btw, I just use Macs Fan Control, Free version. Seem to show all I need, and also has a Menu bar display

Last edited:

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
OK, I installed the TG Pro v.2.62 (trial for 14 days), and tried using it with Apple TV and with Netflix on Safari in the background, pulling down the TG Pro menu from the menu bar, and so far see no glitching.

Let me know more precisely exactly what action causes the glitching I will try to replicate it.

I have 2020 iMac i7 5500XT with 2x16GB Crucial RAM, running Big Sur 11.
? Just so you know, the glitching is inconsistent and I can't get it to glitch again on demand unfortunately, even with safari running in the background and TG Pro running in the foreground.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Update: YES! I do get severe graphical glitching when I click on the "Buy Now..." in TG Pro and it overlays the "Purchase TG Pro" dialog box - like the overlay dialog box you have saying "Thank you for trying TG Pro..."
This overlay also messes with Mission Control.
Not sure I like this app doing this.

Looks like you have nothing to worry about. Just buy TG Pro, or uninstall it.
Oh wow! that's wild. Thank you so much helping to replicate this issue and troubleshoot it. So at this point we're pretty sure that this issue is related to software, correct?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Oh wow! that's wild. Thank you so much helping to replicate this issue and troubleshoot it. So at this point we're pretty sure that this issue is related to software, correct?
Yes. It seems to be the TG Pro dialog box. I suggest uninstall TG Pro. Instructions to completely remove it using terminal are below - I uninstalled it, as I am not going to risk having issues. See if you have any issues after removing it. If not you should be golden. I suggest try Macs Fan Control instead, unless you have a particular reason you want TG Pro.

Glad to help.

davedirect

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2021
Yes. It seems to be the TG Pro dialog box. I suggest uninstall TG Pro. Instructions to completely remove it using terminal are below - I uninstalled it, as I am not going to risk having issues. See if you have any issues after removing it. If not you should be golden. I suggest try Macs Fan Control instead, unless you have a particular reason you want TG Pro.

Glad to help.

I will definitely uninstall TG Pro. Is Macs fan control pretty well known and trusted?

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I will definitely uninstall TG Pro. Is Macs fan control pretty well known and trusted?
Yes. I have been using it for 5 years. Not as fully featured as some others, but fine if you just want to monitor temps and fans. You need to get the paid version to have custom fan control, but I prefer to just let the machine do what it wants to do, and not override it

Reactions: chscag
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.