Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Hi

I currently have a 14in Macbook Pro and have been thinking about getting a secondary display for a while now. I learned about how scaling works in macOS and seems like a 5K display is the one to target. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options out there, with the Studio Display being out of my price range.

So for around $600-$800, I can get a 4K Display and have issues with scaling

Or I was thinking about getting a 2020 27in iMac and using it with Universal Control.

My goals with this secondary display is mostly websites / youtube tutorials on the side with my main coding/productivity happening still on the 14in Macbook Pro.

Has anyone have experience with this kind of set up?

Also are the bezels on the 27in iMac noticeable in day to day usage? (thats one of my worries, that it would look outdated)

Any comments would be great. Thanks! :)

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Universal Control does not make a computer (iMac in your case) an external monitor. It is purely for dragging and dropping files, etc. between the Macs/iPad.

You would have to use AirPlay for this to work. I would not recommend doing this, because it is wireless and sometimes glitches. Therefore, I would recommend getting an actual monitor and physically plugging it in via HDMI ir USB-C.

I came across a video a few weeks ago that talked about why a 4K monitor is actually NOT a good idea. The guy said to just go with a 1440p monitor, because of how the scaling works.

1440p is 1/2 of 5K each way (both horizontally and vertically) so it would work just fine, albeit with slightly less crisp text.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I use my M1 iMac as a second display without a keyboard or mouse only using universal control from my MBP. Wrote an entire forum post on it.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I use my M1 iMac as a second display without a keyboard or mouse only using universal control from my MBP. Wrote an entire forum post on it.
Hi. I'd love to read your writeup, do you have a link to that post?

I clicked on your profile and it said that you have "limited who may view your full profile" so I am unable to see anything you've posted

Reactions: nordique

Eugen Mezei

Suspended
Mar 21, 2015
Regarding the bezels: You look at the displayed image. And it is a big, bright and beautiful one. Why would you look at the bezel? To be honest I dont understand the complains about it. Never disturbed me. If something it helps isolate the image from the surrounding world.
Anyway, your brain will filter the bezel away.

I reckon it may be different if you want to build a wall of monitors, but that could be a good idea 20 years ago, these days just buy a huge monitor for that purpose.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
My goals with this secondary display is mostly websites / youtube tutorials on the side with my main coding/productivity happening still on the 14in Macbook Pro.
For that sort of usage, scaling issues are going to be totally irrelevant. The M1 Pro shouldn't break a sweat with scaling (unless you're already running heavy GPU loads) and the "artefacts" from non-integer scaling will be imperceptible from normal viewing distances on youtube videos and text. Not quite as pin-sharp as a 5k (there's no getting away from the 5k iMac having a very nice display all-round) but a lot clearer than 1440p.

If you had a 27" iMac going spare, your idea would be a good one - but it's really not worth buying one for (esp. a 2020 model - still a perfectly good machine commanding good second-hand prices from people who aren't yet ready for Apple Silicon) when an external display would be more generally useful. Unless, of course, you've got other uses for keeping an Intel Mac around.

Universal Control does not make a computer (iMac in your case) an external monitor. It is purely for dragging and dropping files, etc. between the Macs/iPad.
...which is exactly what would be required in this case - to operate both machines side-by-side from one keyboard/mouse and use the iMac for browsing tutorials/videos. Before Universal Control, I've often used the third-party product Synergy for this.

I came across a video a few weeks ago that talked about why a 4K monitor is actually NOT a good idea. The guy said to just go with a 1440p monitor, because of how the scaling works.
I'd beware of some of these YouTube "4k displays are useless" videos (especially the one referenced here with the silly red/green charts that suggest a 1440p 34" display is going to be "better" than 4k) - the points they make are valid but rather narrow-minded based on a few use cases that hit the limits of 4k displays. 4k is a compromise compared to 220ppi displays and there are issues to be aware of. For general purposes, though, 4k is a sensible compromise and will give you a clearer, sharper display than a 1440p at a fraction of the cost of a 220ppi display.

In this case, I think that guy's problems have little to do with scaling and more to do with the fact that his M1 Mini just isn't really up to running Blender at 4k or 5k at all. Scaled mode should be a non-issue with Blender - which renders its own UI and where literally the first item on its "interface" preferences is the UI scale setting. Just put your 4k display in "looks like 1920x1080" mode, full-screen Blender and adjust it's own UI scale to ~0.75 to get an iMac-like UI scale. However, if you watch the video he says it was still stuttering in that mode (which means he'd likely have the same problems on a 5k display).

Given those circumstances - your main application struggles to drive 4k - then, yes it might not be worth paying for 4k.

The other problematic circumstances would be if you do a lot of image editing at "actual pixels" scale and lean in to see the individual pixels (personally, I'd just zoom in, but...). Which you can't really do in "looks like 1440p" mode - in which case just take a few seconds to switch to "looks like 1080p" mode, where you can, at the expense of a slightly over-large UI (or, if you've got nice youthful eyeballs, just use native 4k).

Again, if that's 90% of your workload, you might want to consider whether you'd be better saving a few bucks and getting a 1440p display - but while there are compromise workarounds for pixel-accurate editing on a 4k display there is nothing that will make a 1440p display show 4k worth of detail.

Personally, I've got a nice dual 4k+ setup and £700 change c.f. the cost of a Studio Display.

Reactions: Supermallet

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
@theluggage You make a very good point. I guess I was confused by what the OP meant in the first post.

It could be taken two ways:
  1. The OP wants to use the iMac “standalone” - just with universal control, and use the programs on the iMac but control it with the MBP, or
  2. The OP wants the iMac to behave like a full-blown external monitor
#2 is how I understood it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
@theluggage You make a very good point. I guess I was confused by what the OP meant in the first post.

It could be taken two ways:
  1. The OP wants to use the iMac “standalone” - just with universal control, and use the programs on the iMac but control it with the MBP, or
  2. The OP wants the iMac to behave like a full-blown external monitor
#2 is how I understood it.

Sorry for the confusion.
yeah sorry if I caused confusion.

What I meant is your point 2. To just treat the iMac as if it was full-blown external monitor but not moving anything from my laptop around. For example, with a typical monitor connected by usb-c or hdmi, I can move my laptops safari tab to the monitor no problem and use it as a secondary display. My goal in that situation is to have that iMac and if I want something on that iMac, ill just open it up on the iMac. So I wont be using streaming my laptop display at all.

I actually found this post: ( https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...uctivity.2333186/?post=30855960#post-30855960 ) that describes what I am thinking of doing. OP of that post described how they use their iMac Pro for heavy lifting and just uses Universal Control to go back to their laptop. I just want to do the reverse where my laptop is my main machine and the iMac is the secondary.

My goal with this post was to find out if others have done something similar (I didnt find that post till later)

Hope I cleared up any confusion

Reactions: rm5

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
yeah sorry if I caused confusion.
Well, the whole Universal Control vs. Sidecar vs. Airplay vs. Remote Desktop thing is rather confusing...

AFAIK - and I'd love to be corrected -
  • Universal Control lets you control multiple Macs and iDevices from one keyboard & pointing device - with various other tricks like dragging files and sharing clipboards. (Third party/pre-Monerey equivalent: Synergy).
  • Sidecar lets you use an iPad (but not, AFAIK, another Mac) as a secondary display and (with an Apple Pencil) graphics tablet (Third party equivalent: Astropad and others)
  • Airplay lets you mirror an existing (desktop) display to a remote screen
  • Remote Desktop lets you take control of an existing display on a remote computer.
...but in the latter two cases, in order to use them as a second display you have to faff around with a physical dongle or software hack to create a 'virtual' display to share. Or buy a third party tool like Luna display (which I believe includes a dummy display dongle).

For your purpose, what you want is Universal Control or Synergy (the latter is of interest if you want to use an older Mac that doesn't run Monterey or connect to Windows or Linux) - and it really doesn't make any difference which is the laptop and which is the iMac.

I'd repeat my earlier comment though - these are great solutions if you have a surplus iMac, a MacBook and a desktop, or some other reason to operate two computers, but in your situation it would be far more straightforward to just get a second monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.