Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deoksiribo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020

Attachments

• imac_2020.jpg
    imac_2020.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 293

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
I hate this kind of advice, but I'd recommend either reinstalling Catalina 10.15.7 or even doing an install of Big Sur to see if that fixes it. That's obviously some kind of serious issue - but whether it's software or hardware is hard to tell, so the easiest first option is to rule out the software question.

If it were me, I would in fact do a totally fresh install of 10.15.7 - in other words erasing the disk entirely first. I know that sounds like bit of a pain in the --- so if you don't feel like doing that, perhaps someone here would have some less draconian things to try first.

deoksiribo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I've already formatted the disk and reinstalled catalina & big sur. The problem is not solved. Thanks for your advice.

Any other ideas?

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
I've already formatted the disk and reinstalled catalina & big sur. The problem is not solved. Thanks for your advice.

Any other ideas?
At that point, since it's so new, I would call Apple support. You're well inside the standard warranty window, so even without applecare, they will totally take care of you.

Explain the issue, and that you want the system looked at, and they will guide you as to the next steps.

I honestly think you should ask for an exchange with another system - which I think they would entertain. If it were me, I would be very emphatic, and explain in no uncertain terms that the system is performing WAAAAY below any reasonable expectations, and that the only fair and warranted solution is a full exchange with a property working replacement iMac.

They'll first probably have you go through a number of time consuming 'attempts' at a solution. But if, as I suspect, they don't solve the problem, then you need to tell them what you have is clearly a lemon and you need a replacement system that isn't broken. :)

Last edited:

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
did you boot into the hardware test on your iMac to check the video card, hard drive or SSD, memory and processor.
also are you using latest version of adobe After Effects?

He should try that. But my point is that the system is so new, he would absolutely be eligible for an exchange. So after doing the hardware test, rather than spending more time trying to chase down the issue - he should just get a replacement system and move on.

Reactions: deoksiribo

deoksiribo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
did you boot into the hardware test on your iMac to check the video card, hard drive or SSD, memory and processor.
also are you using latest version of adobe After Effects?

hi, I tested the system, did not find any problems. The latest version of after effects is installed. (I also tried the old versions.) For example, preview speed in After Effects Fps: 0.2 (NOT Realtime) I don't understand what the problem is and I'm very tired..........

deoksiribo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
He should try that. But my point is that the system is so new, he would absolutely be eligible for an exchange. So after doing the hardware test, rather than spending more time trying to chase down the issue - he should just get a replacement system and move on.
I think the most correct and healthy option is demanding exchange. but I am not sure it will improve after the change. thank you for help...

Nicole1980

Suspended
Mar 19, 2010
I think the most correct and healthy option is demanding exchange. but I am not sure it will improve after the change. thank you for help...
I can almost guarantee it will improve. The render times you are getting are way out of line.
Please update us if/when you get the replacement.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
If I were you I would also try to upgrade.
Choose an i9 processor instead of the i7.
You can always buy an external GPU breakout box and run a much better graphic card later.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
do you have windows 10 pro installed on boot camp? And After Effects?
Maybe it is just a problem with the Catalina and After Effects?
Have you tried installing Big Sur and After Effects?
I am using 72GB of ram in my Machine. Maybe upgrade yours to 64Gb.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
If I were you I would also try to upgrade.
Choose an i9 processor instead of the i7.
You can always buy an external GPU breakout box and run a much better graphic card later.
They will only exchange it for exact what you bought. You would have to return it for credit and start over with a new configuration.

Reactions: Nicole1980

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
start over with a new configuration. believe me.
Go for the 6 core i9 instead of the 4 core i7.
Future proof your machine. Get the best CPU you can.
Get the best GPU or graphics card also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.