Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Hi all,

I bought a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" with i5 10th Gen, 32GB of RAM and 1TB of storage that I received last week to replace my old late 2008 MacBook.

I've used it for almost a week now and in the last few days I had 3 kernel panics, all with the same error: "[IGPU] sendHostToGucMessage: Firmware communication error: no action response!\\n\"@icl\/sched3\/IGGuC.cpp:3599"
It always happens during a restart, either just before restarting or immediately after...even before the boot logo (it's difficult to tell).
After it happened for the 1st time, I tried to reboot again and it did exactly the same.
At that point I've reset SCM/NVRAM/PRAM and the issue appeared to be fixed until it happened again yesterday (only once).

In addition, while I was browsing through the DiagnosticReports folder in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports I've noticed that each time I shutdown or restart the Mac (irrespectively of whether I get a kernel panic or not) a shutdown_stall log file is created.
The shutdown doesn't take that much time, it's similar to what I'm used to with my 2008 MacBook with upgraded hdd (SSD) and RAM...but it behaves slightly differently. The icons disappear from the desktop as usual, but then when it's time for the dock to disappear with a slide-down animation, I can see the dock sliding-down but a fraction of a second later the dock re-appears without an animation and stays there few seconds before the Mac shuts down.
The log file is very long and doesn't seem to tell what made the shutdown stall. It shows all the processes that were running at the time of shutdown. They are all Apple processes and they vary slightly from time to time.
The other absurd thing is that the 1st shutdown_stall log file present in the folder is from the 15th of May, which is almost a week before I received the Mac..most likely it happened at the Apple factory when the Mac had been set-up and shutdown.

Booting in safe mode and restarting still causes the shutdown_stall log file to be written, which is another indication that it's unlikely to depend on something I've installed.

I got in touch with the Apple support and, after doing some non-sense and running some diagnostic (which didn't highlight any issue), I was transferred to a senior advisor who suggested to return the machine and order a new one (given that I'm still within the 14-days period).
I asked if these were known software issues but they didn't want to comment and re-iterate that I should return the machine.

Have you guys seen anything similar?

I was so looking forward to the upgrade and to use my new MBP...I would like to avoid having to return this and re-order a new one if those are just yet another Catalina software issue...

elmacci

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
Munich, Germany
Honestly - just reorder. There is at least a slight possibility that this is a hardware issue. So if you are within the 14 day return period, do it. The wait will be hard, I know - but its nothing compared to the hassle when this issue shows itself more frequent over time and then sending it in for repairs...even if it occurs rather seldom - I know I would go crazy to have a brand new machine which MIGHT have a defect...just my 2 cents

Reactions: VineRider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.