Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdb51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
With Apple revealing the new iPad yesterday it got me comparing these two models.

I currently have a 2015 13" macbook pro, use it for video editing with FCPX and photo editing. As well as an all around device. It has unfortunately given me the black screen of death in the last 2 days, I can use it with an external monitor but it is time to upgrade.

I'm looking for advice on peoples experience editing videos on the iPad, the specs on the new 12.9 is impressive with the M1 chip and 16gb ram it seems as if this new iPad will stack up directly against the M1 MacBook pro. I'm just wondering if it can actually work as well to the Macbook Pro as my primary video editing platform. It seems as of today with iPad, you are unable to edit videos with FCPX or edit off of an external ssd with iPad. Could this iPad actually replace everything a Macbook pro does?

To be honest, I'm stuck in a dilemma. I hate spending the money on a new MacBook pro with essentially the same specs as my (unworking display) MacBook pro today. Add on top of that my MacBook has all the ports built in, I almost feel like I'd be going backwards, or not really upgrading to something that much better going to the M1 MacBook pro. What are everyone's thoughts on this new iPad? Do you think it will be able to replace a Macbook Pro to create video content or do you think I'd be better off to just get the M1 Macbook Pro?

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
There is no Final Cut Pro on iPadOS. There's Lumafusion but it's no FCP.

Main advantage of the iPad Pro, to me, is the Apple Pencil compatibility. If you are just going to use it to click on things, a mouse can do the same.

It just sounds like your MBP without a display is now just a desktop. Nothing wrong with that unless it's no longer able to keep up with your workflow.

tdb51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
I like the ability to utilize the apple pencil to create thumbnails/graphics, but I wouldn't say its absolutely needed as I have been able to do what I have needed in the past without it.

Would you say Lumafusion is a good editing software? Can you do as much as FCP, or is it fairly limited like iMovie for example

you are 100% correct, I was lucky and can still use my computer as a desktop. That's partially why I feel like buying the M1 MacBook pro isn't doing much other than allowing me to work away from my desk.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
With Apple revealing the new iPad yesterday it got me comparing these two models.

I currently have a 2015 13" macbook pro, use it for video editing with FCPX and photo editing. As well as an all around device. It has unfortunately given me the black screen of death in the last 2 days, I can use it with an external monitor but it is time to upgrade.

I'm looking for advice on peoples experience editing videos on the iPad, the specs on the new 12.9 is impressive with the M1 chip and 16gb ram it seems as if this new iPad will stack up directly against the M1 MacBook pro. I'm just wondering if it can actually work as well to the Macbook Pro as my primary video editing platform. It seems as of today with iPad, you are unable to edit videos with FCPX or edit off of an external ssd with iPad. Could this iPad actually replace everything a Macbook pro does?

To be honest, I'm stuck in a dilemma. I hate spending the money on a new MacBook pro with essentially the same specs as my (unworking display) MacBook pro today. Add on top of that my MacBook has all the ports built in, I almost feel like I'd be going backwards, or not really upgrading to something that much better going to the M1 MacBook pro. What are everyone's thoughts on this new iPad? Do you think it will be able to replace a Macbook Pro to create video content or do you think I'd be better off to just get the M1 Macbook Pro?
Workflows under iPadOS and MacOS are quite different. Even when the software exists, the limitations of iPadOS can make things more convoluted than they need to be. Of course there is the convenience of the iPad form-factor (and with it the touch and Pencil interfaces) which can't be dismissed.

I think that latest iPad Pro is a great device that is one step away from a potential converged device equally capable of running iPad OS and MacOS. THAT is the device I'll get should it arrive. It would be Apple's version of a high-end chromebook. My Pixelbook does far more than my iPad Pro could, but I have a strong feeling that is about to change... and if it does, I want to be ready. :)

Reactions: rui no onna

rackbreaker

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Do you think it will be able to replace a Macbook Pro to create video content or do you think I'd be better off to just get the M1 Macbook Pro?
With the big upgrades of the new iPad Pro and the continued evolution of MacOS to become more iPad-like, it sure seems like we are heading toward the ability for iPad Pros to be a true desktop replacement. I don't know why else they are upgrading the processor, RAM and storage so much, not to mention Thunderbolt support now. BUT until Apple actually announces something along those lines -- either the ability to run MacOS, or the ability to at least run certain MacOS apps (hopefully at WWDC in June?) it is all just speculation. As of today, the new iPad Pros have all the hardware specs but are being held back by the iPad OS.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.