Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I’m curious what others thoughts are on the possible switch back to MagSafe. Don’t get me wrong, I loved MagSafe on my 2011 mbp, but I’ve actually gotten very used to usb c now and love that I can move around the house without needing to bring a charger because my husbands android chargers are everywhere! (Still working on converting him to apple ?)

I saw that the rumor for the new 14” mbp is that it’ll still have the usbC thunderbolt ports, do we think thank charging will still work out of those ports in addition to the MagSafe?

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
My hope is that the Magsafe connector has some kind of stacked system where at its core it's still a USB-C connector (and the magsafe just works around it), so that we can either use Magsafe, or "remove / disconnect" the magnetic piece and use the cable as a USB-C charger out of the other side's TB4/USB-C ports if we desire based on where we're sitting and electrical outlet location. So it's best of both worlds.

But maybe that's wishful thinking, and if we want to charge out of the other side, we need to buy another cable (that presumably will still plug into the same power-brick, where the connection on that side remains USB-C). So if you travel, you only bring 1 brick, but 2 charging cables. I guess that wouldn't be the end of the world... but still hoping Apple will find a way.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I have no need or interest in magsafe charging for a Macbook - I much prefer USBC charging.

Yes, magsafe was helpful when I had no choice but to put the power cord in a place it could get bumped or tripped over.

... but IMHO it just isn't needed today with the extreme battery life of the M1 MBP and the ability to use a USBC-PD powerbank to further extend time on battery.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I saw that the rumor for the new 14” mbp is that it’ll still have the usbC thunderbolt ports, do we think thank charging will still work out of those ports in addition to the MagSafe?"

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that if Apple has taken the time and trouble to re-introduce the MagSafe power/charging connection, it's because that's THE ONLY WAY they want users "getting power into" the MacBook.

I recall reading that there have been instances where MacBooks had been damaged by USB charging using 3rd-party devices -- there was something wrong with the output of the chargers, etc.

By "going back" to MagSafe, Apple can now exert more "control" over the power input... less possibility of damage.

Again, my speculation only.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I firmly believe that resurrecting MagSafe as a laptop charging solution in its historical form would be a huge step backwards. USB-C is convenient, reliable, ergonomic and has a benefit of being compatible with third-party chargers. I mean, I would be totally fine with Apple introducing some sort of fancy proprietary mag-latch charger that works with the regular USB-C ports, as long as they don’t take away my useable ports or the ability to use third-party chargers.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
MagSafe
not a big fan as every one I owned burned up.
Just a large amount of charging current across very small mechanical contacts.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
MagSafe
not a big fan as every one I owned burned up.
Just a large amount of charging current across very small mechanical contacts.
What? I have never heard or seen this. I've owned several MagSafe Macbooks. It doesn't make sense, by the time it's going across the magsafe connector, it's already been converted to DC and reduced voltage.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'm very excited for Magsafe. I've been literally waiting since 2015 for it. I have a 2013 15" MBP and 2015 13" MBP and have only bought an M1 Mac Mini because I didn't want to settle buying a USB C charging M1 MBA.

It thankfully hasn't happened yet but many chances have occurred where I could see my gf's USB C charger snapping right off as her 2018 tumbles from the couch or bed.

I do hope they have magsafe and USB C charging, it makes sense to have magsafe on the couch and other "portable" places but retain USB C at your docking station or for on-the-go charging from a battery bank.

Based on magnetic charging coming to the iMac, I think and hope there will be at least 1 added data conductor besides charging added to magsafe. I'd take ethernet or USB.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I’m curious what others thoughts are on the possible switch back to MagSafe. Don’t get me wrong, I loved MagSafe on my 2011 mbp, but I’ve actually gotten very used to usb c now and love that I can move around the house without needing to bring a charger because my husbands android chargers are everywhere! (Still working on converting him to apple ?)

I saw that the rumor for the new 14” mbp is that it’ll still have the usbC thunderbolt ports, do we think thank charging will still work out of those ports in addition to the MagSafe?
You use your husband's Android phone chargers to charge your Mac? Does it even keep up? Aren't phone chargers 5-20w and Mac chargers are 60w or 85w for 13 or 15/16"?

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
You use your husband's Android phone chargers to charge your Mac? Does it even keep up? Aren't phone chargers 5-20w and Mac chargers are 60w or 85w for 13 or 15/16"?
We have a 6ft usb c cable plugged in behind our couch to a decent charging brick

it’s not reliable enough to take it from dead while also using it. But it helps keep it from dying if that makes sense!

my MacBook battery only last like 2 hours now so I’m always trying to plug it in when I can!

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Can't see it as an either/or with them dropping the ability to charge via USB-C more as the return of an additional option (at worst at cost of one of the USB-C ports)

Ideally would like to see any magsafe option being in the form of a 'one end USB-C and one end magsafe' cable that can be plugged into a conventional USB-C supply rather than permanently attached to the PSU (yeah I know, like that's going to happen)

I loved the concept (and can see how other folks would still find it useful) but it was always more of a hinderance for me personally Any visit to an engineering shop would see me chasing little tiny bits of metal swarf around the edge of magsafe ports afterwards; trying to pick them out so the connector could seat properly

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Can't see it as an either/or with them dropping the ability to charge via USB-C more as the return of an additional option (at worst at cost of one of the USB-C ports)

Ideally would like to see any magsafe option being in the form of a 'one end USB-C and one end magsafe' cable that can be plugged into a conventional USB-C supply rather than permanently attached to the PSU (yeah I know, like that's going to happen)

I loved the concept (and can see how other folks would still find it useful) but it was always more of a hinderance for me personally Any visit to an engineering shop would see me chasing little tiny bits of metal swarf around the edge of magsafe ports afterwards; trying to pick them out so the connector could seat properly
Really hoping it’s just an additional option! My current charger is actually in way better shape because it’s not bending awkwardly to fit the one port anymore (previous was a 2011 MBP) now I just switch the cable location based on where I’m sitting and it’s been so nice!

Reactions: snorkelman

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Really hoping it’s just an additional option! My current charger is actually in way better shape because it’s not bending awkwardly to fit the one port anymore (previous was a 2011 MBP) now I just switch the cable location based on where I’m sitting and it’s been so nice!
Agreed, choice of using either would please the most possible folks - I'd just have to find some sort of magsafe port cover/plug to help ward off any metal filings :)

Ahboyd

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I preferred USB-C over Magsafe. While Magsafe is useful and solve a real problem but I don't want Magsafe power cable on the upcoming MBP. In addition, with Apple Silicon, you won't need to charge your Macbook that often.

Hopefully, the cable can be separated from the power adapter brick. Ideally, one end with Magsafe connecting to the MBP and the other is USB-C connecting to the power adapter. This way, I have an option to buy another USB-C power adapter from a third party like Anker, Aukey, etc as back up or put it at my office. Then hopefully, Apple would sell the cable mentioned above separately.

And don't forget, you will loose 1 USB-C port which also act as data transfer port.

Therefore, to bring back Magsafe is a step back for me.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
I decided to come back to MacRumors Forums after years because I was curious about folks‘ thoughts on MagSafe’s return. Here are mine, and I haven’t used a MacBook since the 11-inch Air.

1. I’m excited about MagSafe’s return, but I’m really sensitive to carrying multiple power adapters. I’m hopeful that MagSafe is on one end of the cable, and USB-C is in the other end of the cable.

2. If the first is not possible, I’m hopeful that USB 4 with PD Power Delivery “backwards compatibility” for charging when traveling is permitted. While MagSafe probably makes the most sense when traveling, I’d trade an extra cable or cable attached to a power adapter for a single USB4 PD cable that can charge with an adapter, including tiny GaN chargers.

3. I was always intrigued by the 12-inch MacBook, but I couldn’t get over the butterfly keyboard. I loved its weight, and especially loved and the power adapter was the tiny 29 watt model. I’m hopeful that the next 2022 Air uses the smallest and lowest power 30W 30 watt power adapter.

4. For those as eager as me for the Air, I think the Pro will give us a lot of insight. If the Pro happens to use a 30W charger, my mind will be absolutely blown. I’d gladly take a moving fan for an HDMI-out port. Otherwise, I’ll just have to be patient and wait for the 2022 Air and hope that it lacks a fan while delivering a lot of what I hope above.

It has been years since I’ve been so excited for the possibilities that lie in Macworld. My first Mac was an LC that ran System 7, I’ve been through the dark years, and I absolutely love my M1 mini (having upgraded from the 2012 quad-core i7 mini). I hope Apple continues to surprise and delight us, just as Steve did when he returned. Cheers, everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.