Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthem_the_cat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
Hi all, does anyone know if it's possible to get higher than a 60Hz refresh rate on a MacBook Pro? I believe I have all the right hardware but the Refresh Rate setting option is still grayed out at 59.88 Hertz (NTSC). I've read online that people have had success driving it on 2012 MacBook Pro 15" and machines alike––granted, I know those machines may have dedicated GPUs.

Below are my tech specs and setup:

Laptop: 2013 MacBook Pro (Late 2013) with integrated Iris Graphics and TB2 (Thunderbolt 2)

Monitor: Dell S2719DGF Monitor, it is capable of overlocking up to 155Hz when using DP (DisplayPort)

Current Connection: Laptop to Monitor in clamshell mode with a MiniDisplay to DisplayPort Cable that should be DP 1.2 ready––got it here on Amazon. Result, locked at 60Hz––adjusted the settings on monitor to turn on Overclock AND set refresh rate to Super Fast, also tried to turn off Overclock, adjust refresh rate to fast or normal, rebooted Laptop, nothing helps. Even downloaded a 10-day trial version of SwitchResX but couldn't get the custom resolution to take 120Hz.

I am not trying for 144Hz or 155Hz, but 120Hz would be nice. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

wendelhp

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
I would suggest you join on dell.com and download the driver for your monitor. I use this same exactly monitor integrated in my deck from dell to and working fine at 120Hz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.