Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moasson

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
In Yo Face
The HDD on my iMac failed couple weeks back and yesterday, I opened the screen and replaced the dead HDD with an SSD. Powered on the Mac and reinstalled Catalina using a bootable USB drive. Everything went well and macOS got installed. After first login, the system prompted me that there are updates available that need to be installed, I clicked restart and install the updates. Mac restarted and installing the ~1.2GB update for Catalina and it was about 40% complete that the iMac suddenly turned off.

I tried pressing the power button and turn it back on but it would not turn back on. I unplugged it from the power strip it is plugged into and left it unplugged for an hour. Came back and tried again and it would not boot, no sound, screen would not come on, nothing. Then, I tried resetting the SMC by following the instructions on Apple's site and still nothing.

I tried plugging it into another wall socket and still nothing, I am sure the wall jack works because i plugged something else into it and it works.

I am not sure what else I can do, any help is appreciated.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Are you sure the HDD is dead and that you didn’t mistake it for some other failing component (e.g. failing power supply)?

Moasson

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
In Yo Face
Are you sure the HDD is dead and that you didn’t mistake it for some other failing component (e.g. failing power supply)?
Yes, because after swapping the HDD with SSD, I was able to power it on and reinstall the macOS. It was not until installing updates that it just shut down and I am unable to power it back on.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm wondering if this could be a failed firmware upgrade because the Mac encountered a 3rd-party drive (during the upgrade), when it was expecting to find an "Apple-ID" drive...?

Moasson

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
In Yo Face
I'm wondering if this could be a failed firmware upgrade because the Mac encountered a 3rd-party drive (during the upgrade), when it was expecting to find an "Apple-ID" drive...?
Ok, is there anything I can do to rescue the system to make it boot so I can try to do something to fix it? The issue is that it is not powering on at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.