Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HackDaBox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Hi,

I wish to add an external SSD via the thunderbolt port as i have only USB 2.0 and not 3.0 and the speed on USB 2.0 sux.

I would love an adaptor and see very cheap ones ($10 USD) on amazon from USBC to SATA ( these are for the new MacBook Pros recently announced ) but is there a cheap adaptor or 2.5" drive bay and thunderbolt cable i can buy ?

when i looked into this years ago the only option was a seagete adaptor or buying a buffalo external 1TB spinning hard drive and swapping the 5200rpm drive for an SSD which is very expensive !

Thanks Guys,

HackDaBox!

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015
Hi,

I wish to add an external SSD via the thunderbolt port as i have only USB 2.0 and not 3.0 and the speed on USB 2.0 sux.

I would love an adaptor and see very cheap ones ($10 USD) on amazon from USBC to SATA ( these are for the new MacBook Pros recently announced ) but is there a cheap adaptor or 2.5" drive bay and thunderbolt cable i can buy ?

when i looked into this years ago the only option was a seagete adaptor or buying a buffalo external 1TB spinning hard drive and swapping the 5200rpm drive for an SSD which is very expensive !

Thanks Guys,

HackDaBox!

If the 2011 has Thunderbolt, the Transcend StoreJet 500 is the cheapest option. I boot from one at work. At 290MB/Sec (write) and 380 MB/Sec (read), it is slower than USB 3.0, but does have TRIM support. Strangely, the read speed of this drive is better over USB 3.0 than Thunderbolt (430 MB/Sec). This tells us it uses a crap controller. Given the better read speeds, I boot via USB and not Thunderbolt. Either way you choose to boot, the shorter seek time will make a huge improvement over HDD.

Reactions: HackDaBox

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I just got this delivered yesterday. I read that Crucial has decent garbage collection but I shall see as time goes on, it is not as good as having Trim enabled but better than nothing. I am just using the drive for some large games and other useless data I wanted to keep separate. Upon install I erased the drive and configured it to Journal encrypted and was surprised it did give me the 274.37GB of space, unlike a lot of reviews I read said 248....

Crucial MX300 275GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT275MX300SSD1

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
Return eligible through Jan 31, 2017
$69.98
Condition: New
Buy it Again

Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure External SATA HDD and SSD Case - Optimized for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SSD, Tool Free (FE2002)

Sold by: Inateck Online Product question? Ask Seller
Return eligible through Jan 31, 2017
$14.99
Condition: New

Unknown.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.