Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Ok, so this may be not in the right area in the forums, but maybe i might get some help here.

So for some time i was able to run my 22" adc lcd on a geforce 4 ti with no issues. Then the other day my mdd overheated and my lcd quit working. I had already swapped out the inverter and other boards in the lcd for newer ones when i fried it with my old ati 9000 some time back. Now when the adc is plugged into the mac, it bongs but the power light does not light and the lcd stays off. As soon as i unplug the ADC the mac power light turns on.
I don't have a different video card to test to see if its the same or not. The dvi plug works fine and drives my 24" dell monitor with no issues. I also have a dvi to adc adapter and that works but the adc monitor hooked up to it doesn't turn on but the power light stays on.
i also checked the pins on the adc connector and nothing is out of place and no dust or debris.
i have done the usual pram reset and open firmware nvram resets and nothing changes.
i also took the card out and cleaned all the contacts and the same thing happens as i wrote above.

any ideas

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible, using the converter, to hook it up to another computer that has DVI?

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Could do that. Have a winbox sitting 3 feet away from the mac. Will do that hopefully later and will update my findings

Reactions: eyoungren

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
ok, so i hooked the dvi to adc to my windows pc, and then hooked up the adc lcd. nothing on the display, and no power light either. i thought that maybe my adapter was blown, but i took a multimeter to it to check voltages, and i indeed found some. pins 1 & 2 show 27V and pin 9 shows the 5V usb power so those are good. i also did the same on the geforce4 ti on the mac and got 25V on pins 1 & 2 and 5V on pin 9.

so now i'm looking at a bad fuse or the new boards i got at usedmac are bogus

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Ok, so i took apart my adc and pushed some connectors on the inside so see if any of them were loose and low and behold the monitor came to life. More so it was the usb power connector? 2 black and 2 red wires and the display comes to life. Worked along side my dell dvi, alone by itself on the adc port and hooked up to the dvi to adc. Now to see why this little connector is being rude and not working.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 75

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
i spoke too soon. i reflowed the solder on the connectors, and everything was working. i then hooked it up to the mac next to the dell monitor and all was well. i then rebooted the mac and then it all happened again. no led on the mac but it bonged. only display was the dell showing anything while the adc showed nothing. i unplugged the adc and the mac led came back on. so i think there is more wrong with the old adc anyways. maybe time to put it to pasture

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i spoke too soon. i reflowed the solder on the connectors, and everything was working. i then hooked it up to the mac next to the dell monitor and all was well. i then rebooted the mac and then it all happened again. no led on the mac but it bonged. only display was the dell showing anything while the adc showed nothing. i unplugged the adc and the mac led came back on. so i think there is more wrong with the old adc anyways. maybe time to put it to pasture
Yeah, sounds like a connection somewhere. May be more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.