Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I remember some chinese brat with access to his billionaire daddy's credit card who bought one gold apple watch for each of his dog's front legs, then posted images of the dog wearing them on what is colloquially called "social media."

A person wearing one of these watches would not have been much of an improvement. It was a bad idea from the start.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok, who has an 18kt version?

I don’t recall the exact post, but there was a “Doctor” on the forum who posted pictures of the 18 karat gold Apple Watch when It released. I would say anyone who owns the 18 karat gold Apple Watch is likely a 1% or under, it’s strictly aesthetics with that version.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I don’t recall the exact post, but there was a “Doctor” on the forum who posted pictures of the 18 karat gold Apple Watch when It released. I would say anyone who owns the 18 karat gold Apple Watch is likely a 1% or under, it’s strictly aesthetics with that version.

Even if I had the money to have bought one when they came out I wouldn’t have because for one it’s a smart watch and the tech gets outdated so quickly and secondly way way overpriced. I definitely want to get a ceramic edition in the future though. Much much nicer IMO.

Reactions: jaymc

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Even if I had the money to have bought one when they came out I wouldn’t have because for one it’s a smart watch and the tech gets outdated so quickly and secondly way way overpriced. I definitely want to get a ceramic edition in the future though. Much much nicer IMO.

When the 18 karat gold Edition Apple Watch launched, it was Apple strictly making a fashion statement in the smart watch era. Apple wanted to make it known that they had an Apple Watch model for everyone from the basic aluminum all the way to the most expensive gold watch. The only individuals purchasing a $10,000 Apple Watch were those who have disposable income for tech that will eventually be antiquated and be left with something eventually useless, but that doesn’t matter to them.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Was amazed to read today that the three Apple stores are closing down, and the Gold "Edition" watches were being sold off for a fraction of that people originally paid:

"Isetan's website just recently, selling its remaining Apple Watch Edition inventory for as little as $700. Those 18-karat gold watches sold for at least $10,000 and as much as $17,000 when they first became available."

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/22/apple-will-shut-down-watch-exclusive-tokyo-store/

Tech just does not last well value wise. Not unless it has REAL rarity or physical value.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Was amazed to read today that the three Apple stores are closing down, and the Gold "Edition" watches were being sold off for a fraction of that people originally paid:

"Isetan's website just recently, selling its remaining Apple Watch Edition inventory for as little as $700. Those 18-karat gold watches sold for at least $10,000 and as much as $17,000 when they first became available."

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/22/apple-will-shut-down-watch-exclusive-tokyo-store/

Tech just does not last well value wise. Not unless it has REAL rarity or physical value.

Amazing, that was an absolute steal at 700USD. Not sure if that's an actual reflection of the value it has right now or just a stupid decision from some store manager. Can't seem to find one for sale online anywhere, so you could basically still ask any price you'd want if you where selling one.

tonoboon

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
If
Amazing, that was an absolute steal at 700USD. Not sure if that's an actual reflection of the value it has right now or just a stupid decision from some store manager. Can't seem to find one for sale online anywhere, so you could basically still ask any price you'd want if you where selling one.
if I come across this price
I’m not hesitated to buy them all.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Here is the value of the Original Edition 42mm gold in todays scrap price (if case weight is correct at 54G). $1707.47

Weight x 18K / troy x spot - processing fee (3%)

54x0.75=40.4 next 40.4/31.1=1.299 next 1.299x1355.1=1760.27 next 1760.27-52.80=1707.47

Reactions: sunapple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As someone else alluded to, no matter how expensive the watch casing is, the main core functionality Apple Watch is the tech inside of it, once that tech is no longer supported or is obsolete, all you are left with is the scrap metal that quickly devalues unless somebody sells it for the casing by itself. Ultimately, I could never see myself spending that type of money on an Apple Watch, not less it was an actual time piece that didn’t require OS updates.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.