Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhoward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
I mainly use my MacBook Pro atm for editing with an external drive, would you say that a 256GB with a 2TB external drive would suffice for my editing needs on a 27-inch iMac 5k retina? Or would you say that playing it safe and spending more money on the 512GB would be worth it??

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can’t comment what size SSD you need however larger SSD’s sometimes net you a little more speed (depending on construction) and you’ll get more longevity (assuming it dies from write cycles) plus easier resale.

By the time you get rid of it 512gb will likely be an option in smartphones.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
would you say that a 256GB with a 2TB external drive would suffice for my editing needs on a 27-inch iMac 5k retina? Or would you say that playing it safe and spending more money on the 512GB would be worth it??
Since you're already using an external drive to store your data, what will you use the internal drive for? I'd say that if there is little risk of filling up the 256GB SSD, why bother spending the extra money on the 512GB? Why spend extra money on the higher capacity that you'll never use

Reactions: Jhoward

bl11

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2017
how much storage are you using now? I went with 512. I would have been fine with 256, but id rather have the extra space available.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
For several years I’ve been hearing people talking about the possibility of SSDs dying from too many write cycles. I work in the photography and video production industry where there is massive amounts of write cycles on SSDs and I’ve never heard of a single one wearing out or dying, and that’s after years of daily hard-core use. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but the chances are exponentially greater that you will move on to a different piece of tech before you wear an SSD out.

I’m with Mike: buy the size you need. However, give special consideration to how fast SSDs are and how your speed requirements may or may not change over your expected lifespan for your next MBP.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
A larger internal drive allows you to change your workflow to perform disk intensive operations faster.
Also, ssd longevity is related to how many times you write its entire size. A larger drive that you don’t jam full of (changing) data will see less total wear than a small one that’s fuller. However, unless you do huge writes daily, you probably don’t need to worry a whole lot about disk longevity over a reasonable amount of time..

Jhoward

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
how much storage are you using now? I went with 512. I would have been fine with 256, but id rather have the extra space available.
At the moment I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with 121GB flash storage, I’ve got about 18-20GB left. I mainly do a lot of my work/store everything on an external 2TB drive...

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
At the moment I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with 121GB flash storage, I’ve got about 18-20GB left. I mainly do a lot of my work/store everything on an external 2TB drive...

Then it sounds like you've answered your own question. :)

I went with the 512GB SSD on my 2017 iMac but seven months in now I am only using 235GB. That includes 73GB of virtual machines that I could just as well store on external drives along with all of my music, photos, video and backup if I chose to.

With external storage it sounds like the 256GB should be fine for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.