Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Hi guys,

My system is a late 2012 27" iMac, 16gb RAM with Sierra 10.12.5, and when I start it up, it's already using 7gb of it... Around 6gb App memory and 1gb wired memory.

My 1TB HDD is almost empty, I only have OSX and a couple more things, I'm using 15% of the HDD. I use external HDD for all my data.

The desktop is uncluttered.

What can I do?
Thanks for any help

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Well. Nothing.
RAM is there to be used. Empty RAM is like a huuuge, but empty fridge: useless.

It seems everything is as intended.

Reactions: jerwin

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"My system is a late 2012 27" iMac, 16gb RAM with Sierra 10.12.5, and when I start it up, it's already using 7gb of it... Around 6gb App memory and 1gb wired memory."

I could be mistaken, but that's the way the Mac OS "uses" memory now.

Before "Mavericks" (10.9), the OS used only the memory it "needed" at the moment, and left the rest "free".

Beginning with Mavericks, the memory paradigm changed. The OS now "loads up" just about ALL the memory at boot, and then "shuffles it around" as system requirements change.

That's why it shows so much being "used" -- even if a large portion of it is "unoccupied" (by apps or anything else) at the moment.

It's also why Macs with platter-based hard drives began slowing down so much with the advent of Mavericks -- much more going on with "swap files", etc. SSD's can handle it, but HDD's get "bogged down".

(I welcome correction from others if the above is wrong)

zalle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
So you think an ssd makes a lot of difference memory wise?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"So you think an ssd makes a lot of difference memory wise?"

It's not a "matter of memory".
It IS a matter of speed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.