Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesr94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Hi there,

In a previous post I mentioned that my iMac's Finder was using excessive RAM and suspected that the issue was hardware related. After weeks of trouble shooting and endless conversations with Apple technicians, they have come to the conclusion that there *could* be a problem with my RAM. However, I have 32GB of 'non-apple' RAM in my machine and I do not have the original RAM that came with my iMac - thus, they have told me that they will not be able to run diagnostics on it and won't be able to help me - unless I bring it in with 8GB of 'original' Apple Ram - which is what my machine came with.

They have sent me a specification of what kind of RAM can be used - but I am baffled as to where I can find actual, 'original' Apple RAM.

Can anyone help me here? What brand of RAM would my iMac have been shipped with?

Kind Regards,
James

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
eBay is probably your best bet, second hand. Especially if all your going to be using it for is to get Apple to check the machine.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The Finder using excessive amounts of RAM cannot possibly be a hardware issue. The Finder is a high-level piece of software completely unaware of its underlying hardware, be that CPU, GPU or RAM. It uses high-level APIs to communicate with the underlying hardware layer, which in turn uses low-level APIs to communicate with the drivers, kernel memory management, etc. In other words: there is no way that defective RAM can cause an application, any application, to use excessive amounts of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.