Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tezro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Since 15 June 2017 it is required by Apple to use 2FA for non-Apple products should you want to use, for instance, your e-mail in Windows 10 Mail and Calendar.

I don't mind 2FA, but Apple has restricted it to their own devices and OS. Meaning, I can't use my nice authenticator app on my non-Apple phone for this.
No problem for Steam or Uplay, but with Apple I feel like being screwed.

This morning I had to charge my iPad 3rd Gen, which took about half an hour before it even wanted to turn on, to enable 2FA on my account. And then I could finally generate keys for my Windows laptop and Windows phone.
And since I don't carry the iPad around, I can't log in on webmail either. Because that sends a code to my iPad.

It feels like I might have to ditch my @me.com account, which would really suck as it's my main e-mail address.

Anyone have this experience, or how to move the authenticator part to another app?

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Set up your cell phone number as a trusted phone number, and you can get a phone call with the verification code.
On your Windows laptop, when you try to sign in via a browser, click on "Didn't get a verification code?" Then select "Use Phone Number (Get a text or a phone call with a code)". You can then pick one of your trusted phone numbers to receive the verification code. I assume there is something similar on the Windows phone.

I have my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my landline all set up as trusted phone numbers. If I don't have access to any of them, I'm probably in jail. ;)

tezro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Could give that a go.

Try staying out of jail ;-)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can also setup your home phone number as a trusted device and Apple will robo call you with the code.

tezro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
A home phone number? I live in 2017. I don't even have cable television anymore ;-)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
A home phone number? I live in 2017. I don't even have cable television anymore ;-)

It is 2017, and you need a second number to give to all those people you do not actually want to talk to. I use my old 4S on a T-Mo pay-as-you-go account as the "home phone".

(On topic, I use it for 2FA on my secondary Apple-ID)

A.

Last edited:

tezro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Doesn't that say something about you, then?
I don't need a second phone number. People I don't want to talk to I either ignore, or worst case block.
They get the message.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My point was there are options other than using your iPhone. You can use a friend's phone number or even a relative's SMS. I have my daughter's SMS in there as a fallback recovery option.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Doesn't that say something about you, then?

It may well. But I was referring to banks, brokers, credit card companies, and all those other institutions where you have to give them a phone number but do not really want them bugging you as you go about your day. YMMV.

A.

tezro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
@Weaselboy Alright, I see your point.

@Alrescha Oh, in my country we have something for that. Translated it's called "Do not call me register".
Works really well as the companies that do try are punished severely. It's a government thing.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.