Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gocke004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
Texas
Dear Fellow MBP Enthusiasts,

I am considering upgrading the storage on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro (5,3). It currently runs off of the original 320 GB HDD. The computer is getting extremely slow as of late. I am also upgrading RAM to 8 GB (the max supported on this model).

This laptop is only equipped with a 3.0 GB/s SATA port. However, most SSDs on the market today are built for 6.0 GB/s SATA. I noticed on OWC's page for SSDs they mention that installing a 6.0 GB/s SSD into a machine that only supports 3.0 GB/s can cause the system to revert to a 1.5 GB/s protocol, which obviously wouldn't be great.

Is this a generally true phenomenon? Is this only true with OWC's SSDs? It seems like 3.0 GB/s SSDs are really hard to find for purchase. The only other ones I have found have very poor reviews.

That being said, any pre-2011 macbook pro users here who have upgraded to an SSD? What interface speed (3 vs 6) drive are you using? I am assuming that a 6.0 GB/s SSD will do just fine...I am just doing my due diligence before investing in one.

Thanks for the information!

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Dear Fellow MBP Enthusiasts,

I am considering upgrading the storage on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro (5,3). It currently runs off of the original 320 GB HDD. The computer is getting extremely slow as of late. I am also upgrading RAM to 8 GB (the max supported on this model).

This laptop is only equipped with a 3.0 GB/s SATA port. However, most SSDs on the market today are built for 6.0 GB/s SATA. I noticed on OWC's page for SSDs they mention that installing a 6.0 GB/s SSD into a machine that only supports 3.0 GB/s can cause the system to revert to a 1.5 GB/s protocol, which obviously wouldn't be great.

Is this a generally true phenomenon? Is this only true with OWC's SSDs? It seems like 3.0 GB/s SSDs are really hard to find for purchase. The only other ones I have found have very poor reviews.

That being said, any pre-2011 macbook pro users here who have upgraded to an SSD? What interface speed (3 vs 6) drive are you using? I am assuming that a 6.0 GB/s SSD will do just fine...I am just doing my due diligence before investing in one.

Thanks for the information!
You must mean gigabit (Gb/s) instead of gigabyte (GB/s). 6Gb/s SATA SSD tops out around 500MB/s.

Not familiar of the phenomenon as I'm a 2011 owner but even at 1.5 Gb/s it will be worth getting (faster random read/write) so just get a 6Gb/s SSD.
3Gb/s SSD is pretty archaic now which explains the rarity.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I fitted a Samsung SSD in my 2009 MBP and it runs just fine on a 3Gbps SATA link.

For anything except large sequential writes you will not be constrained by the SATA link speed and when it comes to day to day performance, small read/writes is what makes a system sing.

windows4ever

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
I had a 2010 15" MBP which also had SATA 2. It was known to be problematic with SATA 3 drives, whether spinning or SSD (freezing issues). The problem was known to be resolved by using a SATA 3 ribbon cable from a 2011 MBP, which I installed.

I used a Samsung EVO 850 SSD in it and it worked fine with the upgraded cable. It ran at SATA 2 speeds, not SATA 1. It was still fast enough though.

To be safe, my advice would be to buy a used SATA 2 SSD off ebay. Crucial made reliable SATA 2 drives and they were MLC, so even if you buy a used drive over 5 years old, you should still be able to get a lot of life out of it. You may have to settle for something in the 120-240GB range though as 500GB+ SATA 2 drives were not common.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I recall reading about that problem a few years ago. I don't remember the details, what I know is that at the time I upgraded my 2009 17" with a Samsung EVO 840 and it worked just fine at SATA 2 speeds.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Sandforce chipset ssd’s didn’t sync up well with the nvidia chipset MacBooks

gocke004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
Texas
Thank you all for your input. This has been most helpful! :) I will let you know what I end up doing and include some installation pictures as well :)

gocke004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
Texas

This led me to some very helpful information. Thank you. It seems this question has popped up many many times over the years. I just checked my current SATA devices in the system profiler. It looks like I'm only getting 1/5 gbps at the moment for both my HDD and optical drive. I have already updated the firmware, which was supposed to fix this issue, but apparently some people have still not been able to get the full 3 gbps transfer rate even after updating. I must either be in that unlucky pool, or my HDD is only rated for 1.5 gbps. I am having a hard time finding that out.
[doublepost=1535946628][/doublepost]
I fitted a Samsung SSD in my 2009 MBP and it runs just fine on a 3Gbps SATA link.

For anything except large sequential writes you will not be constrained by the SATA link speed and when it comes to day to day performance, small read/writes is what makes a system sing.

Would you say this would be true even for 1.5 gbps? I suppose the small reads/writes don't ever really approach the transfer rate limit.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
SATA I tops-out at around 140MB/s, so not much more than a very fast HDD can serve up. But for the smaller random read/writes that typify real-world computing an SSD on SATA I would still slaughter any HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.