Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notw618

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
a question for photographers editing and viewing photos with an nvidia 320m graphics card:
are you satisfied? or do you wish you got a discrete card?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
a question for photographers editing and viewing photos with an nvidia 320m graphics card:
are you satisfied? or do you wish you got a discrete card?
That depends on the application: Photoshop doesn't make very good use of the GPU (yet?), so you won't see any difference. CS4 accelerated only zooming, panning and rotation to my knowledge, CS5 adds a few more, but nothing substantial. Lightroom doesn't use the GPU at all.

On the other hand, apps like Aperture and Pixelmator can make much better use of a beefy GPU.

notw618

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
huh. thanks for the info, i really hadn't the slightest idea.
so, when does the discrete graphics kick in on the 15" mbp? just when playing games, mainly?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
huh. thanks for the info, i really hadn't the slightest idea.
so, when does the discrete graphics kick in on the 15" mbp? just when playing games, mainly?
That depends on the application. The discrete graphics kicks in when certain functions are to be performed. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it, the 320M is plenty powerful for most users. I would only insist on getting a machine with a beefy gpu if I knew what I'd be using it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.