Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pribl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
need to have windows on my macbook. :(

this is my configuration:
2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

what windows I need to setup : 32bit or 64bit ?

Last edited:

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
You'd definitely want to go with 64-bit Windows on a MacBook Pro with those specifications as it can handle over 4 GB of memory and with the quad-core Intel Core i7 processor you'll also see slightly better performance as well (under 64-bit).

There are other advantages as well; 64-bit Windows 7 is typically more stable and it's a bit more secure too.

Hope that helps, have a great day. :)

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
just installed it using VMWare Fusion, and I went with 64-bit on my new MBP 15" (2.2 w/8GB RAM). Works great so far.

I allocated half the RAM to WIN7 and half to OSX.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want to run windows in bootcamp, then go with 64bit especially if you want windows to have access to all your 8gb of ram.

If you plan on running windows in vmware/parallels I recommend the 32bit option. The increased overhead of 64bit os under a virtualized environment is not worth the ability to access more then 4gb of ram.

Mike

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I know it says this question is "resolved" but...

what do you mean by "increased overhead"?

I've read elsewhere that even using a virtualized machine, the 64-bit will run more efficiently and speedily and there's no downside...

So, what are the issues?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know it says this question is "resolved" but...

what do you mean by "increased overhead"?

I've read elsewhere that even using a virtualized machine, the 64-bit will run more efficiently and speedily and there's no downside...

So, what are the issues?

the increased overhead is from both windows managing larger data structures and VMware dealing with a 64bit OS. I asked this very question to VMware back when win7 was released and they stated that there's little benefit to running 64bit windows under vmware if you don't need access the ram. They mentioned it adds a bit of overhead from vmware and performance will be a bit slower, so you're not getting a lot of bang for your buck

cvs

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Just to report that Win 7 x64 runs fine on the 2.2Ghz 15" MBP with Parallels 6.

I'll try and install Office 2010 and report any findings. I am guessing Office 64 is a good match for Win7 x64...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.