Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
hi all,

decided to get my old canon EOS 300 out of the cupboard the other day...put some new batteries in it, and bought some films....i want to give it a go putting pictures from this camera on my p'Book. i dont really have the money for a film scanner, but have a flatbed scanner at my disposal.

im really looking for tips and tricks to get the best results from this setup, and am open to considering other options:)

thanks! any help much appreciated!

S

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Many options are available..

What kind of flat bed scanner do you have? What's the specs? If you have or can get a transparency adaptor for it then it can scan the negatives. It is really best to scan negatives.

(2) You could scan the prints. This is dead easy with any flat bed scanner but the results do not match scanned negatives, even negatives scanned on a flatbed scaner

(3) Some labs can scan the negatives after they develop them and hand yo a CD with the image files. Labs that sell to consummers sometimes use low resolution so the quality may not be very good.

get profesional scans. This is expensive but the results should be about as good as you can get. and beat any digital camera in terms of image quality

You could do a combination of the above. Get the low price/free scans and then profesional scans of the best images

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
my local tesco has a print lab that can do them on CD/DVD for when you pick up the prints... and it's not expensive...

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
its a HP 2350 printer, the flatbed scanner is on the top part. i dont expect good quality from it, but i am going to try it and see what happens. i can ask at local photoprinting service centres in my area to see if they would do a high res scan of the images. i know i cant get them onto the PB without spending money, but its not too much of a problem...i just want to spend it in the right way. i know i can get some stellar results if i do it right, but i guess it's just trial and error. i'll check up at tesco, they have quite a large photo processing area.

S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.