Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilso2ks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I have lenses from my old Nikon N70 camera. Will these fit on Nikon digital SLR's?

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
They will all fit fine. But old lenses that don't have the thing where you put it to the smallest aperture and switch it to the orange dot (camera controlled aperture) wont be able to shoot.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
They will all fit fine. But old lenses that don't have the thing where you put it to the smallest aperture and switch it to the orange dot (camera controlled aperture) wont be able to shoot.

Uh, no.

They'll work fine. If you have a D200 or above (d300, d2x, d3) then you can get full metering with old (AI) lenses, but those below will have to rely on entirely manual controls.

If they're from an N70, there's a chance that they might even be newer AF lenses, in which case they'll work perfectly.

Ignore the bit about the camera-controlled aperture, he doesn't know what he's on about.

Skunk, here's your nerd answer.

Nikon AI, AI'd and AIS lenses will work with all Nikon digital SLRs. You should never attempt to mount a Non-AI lens except on a D40, where they clear the mirror for some reason. Even so, not worth the risk.

With a D80, like what TimJim has, you can't use any of the scene or priority modes. You will need to use full manual and control the aperture with the ring on the lens. You won't get an aperture reading on your camera's screen. With a prosumer or higher level body, you do see the aperture and though you still stop down using the on-lens ring, it appears correctly in your exif data and the camera makes metering decisions if you want it to.

My favorite lens on the D300 is the Nikon 55mm f/3.5 AI micro. Sharpest lens I've ever used, at any price.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Uh, no.

They'll work fine. If you have a D200 or above (d300, d2x, d3) then you can get full metering with old (AI) lenses, but those below will have to rely on entirely manual controls.

If they're from an N70, there's a chance that they might even be newer AF lenses, in which case they'll work perfectly.

Ignore the bit about the camera-controlled aperture, he doesn't know what he's on about.

Skunk, here's your nerd answer.

Nikon AI, AI'd and AIS lenses will work with all Nikon digital SLRs. You should never attempt to mount a Non-AI lens except on a D40, where they clear the mirror for some reason. Even so, not worth the risk.

With a D80, like what TimJim has, you can't use any of the scene or priority modes. You will need to use full manual and control the aperture with the ring on the lens. You won't get an aperture reading on your camera's screen. With a prosumer or higher level body, you do see the aperture and though you still stop down using the on-lens ring, it appears correctly in your exif data and the camera makes metering decisions if you want it to.

My favorite lens on the D300 is the Nikon 55mm f/3.5 AI micro. Sharpest lens I've ever used, at any price.

I feel dumb. Your right. I popped on a 50mm f/1.4 with the camera controlled aperture but i was in Aperture Priority mode so no reading came up, just tried in Manual and worked. Thanks.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I don't think anyone mentioned that, unless your lenses are AF-S, [or the other one, AF-I?] which is unlikely, they won't autofocus on the D40,40x,60. As such it may be advisable to go for a D50, 80, etc.

Otherwise they will work fine. I assume they're all autofocus lenses, it is possible, as I think the F70 allowed centre-weighted metering with AI, AIs manual lenses that you've got some of those. If so, they won't meter at all with anything except the D200, 300, 700, D1 (centre weighted), D2 series, D3, Fuji S5 pro.

Whatever you've got, if it fitted on the F70/N70, it will fit on all the digitals. Functionality is constrained by the two points above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.