Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSLEWIS-FAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I'm looking to create a 3D effect with some pictures that I have. If anyone has ever seen those Gatorade commercials that feature Kevin Garnett, Sydney Crosby or Peyton Manning. They are black and white with just some color in certain spots. There is a classic song by Carmina Burana playing and the pictures have this ken burns style effect to them, but there is also a 3D effect to it as well. Anyway, I would like to know how to do that with some of my pictures.
I can figure out the black and white part of it and only add color to certain parts, but I am struggling with the 3D effect of it. To be honest, I'm not even sure if the effect is done with pictures or if it is done with video. I also have video I could edit if that is the case. Below is a list of the software that I have to work with.

Macbook Pro 15 inch, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 3GB Memory
Mac OS X Leopard
Photoshop CS3 (Regular version, not the extended)
Final Cut Express 4
IMovie 06 & 08
IPhoto 08

If anyone could help me with this, that would be cool. I"m not sure if there is some different software I might need or what. Thanks in advance for any help.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Not sure what you are getting at but with video, if you want different parts of a scene to come into view you can pan a stationary camera and the scene will look "flat" like the Burns effect moving over a still photo but if the camera moves on a dolly then there is a parallax effect where foreground objects move relative to background objects and the eye sees a 3d effect. I wonder wht id you transition from pan to dolly shot?

GuyNextDoor

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Off topic, but "Carmina Burana" isn't a musical artist, it's a composition by Carl Orff (one of my favorites; if you ever get a chance to hear it performed live, it's not to be missed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.