Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hepkat63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Hi,
sorry if this is a dumb question - however, I am pretty new to mac and I want to be able to take pictures of model cars - but display them in 3D on the internet. I understand that I need some sort of 'turntable' to display the model - and (i think) take multiple photo graphs of it - but then what? Can someone please (be gentle..) advise as to just how I render (is that the right word?) into a three D image to put on websites.
thanks !@

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Are you talking about 3D product demos, where you either drag a slider or have a product rotating over time? Something like this:
http://www.yofla.com/flash/3d-rotate/

If so these types of demos are usually done in Flash, and aren't static images. I suppose if you could live with the low-quality, you could do it with an animated GIF.

Basically all you're doing is taking multipe shots of the subject, rotaing at a constant angle between each shot, then linking and displaying those individual items in order. The more images you take, at smaller rotations, the smoother the animation will be. Keeping the subject centered on the turntable, will be important, so that as you turn it it doesn't seem to move side to side, also keeping your lighting, camera, and exposure settings constant will be important.

hepkat63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
sort of..

yes, thanks for the reply. Sort of what I am looking at doing - but the VR link is a little over the top and would be very slow if you were loading a lot of images. Basically, I want to have my website that has over 100 hats, displayed as thumbnails (which I can do), then when the user clicks them - a larger image appears (which I can do too..) then the user can use their mouse to rotate the image (which I can't do !)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.