Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
is there any app out there that can do what apple's smart hdr or google hdr+ does? thanks

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
personally, I get MUCH better results taking my regular photos and processing them with the HDR filter in Snapseed. I find the HDR functions in iOS and in ProCamera don't perform the way I expected them to.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
personally, I get MUCH better results taking my regular photos and processing them with the HDR filter in Snapseed. I find the HDR functions in iOS and in ProCamera don't perform the way I expected them to.

are you doing that with iphone XS or MAX?

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
Uh the 7. It’s an app.

oh ok. i know that it's an app. however, im asking because the HDR mode in 7 is different from the smart HDR mode in XS or MAX, hence not directly comparable. smart HDR is only available in phones with A12 chip.

in any case, for those who are interested, i may have found 1 similar app. it is called halide, but it shoots in raw, so it needs post-processing which is troublesome.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
oh ok. i know that it's an app. however, im asking because the HDR mode in 7 is different from the smart HDR mode in XS or MAX, hence not directly comparable. smart HDR is only available in phones with A12 chip.

in any case, for those who are interested, i may have found 1 similar app. it is called halide, but it shoots in raw, so it needs post-processing which is troublesome.

Any iPhone I’ve ever used, the HDR function was almost never even noticeable. Maybe that’s changed now.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I find vivid HDR in ProCamera to be pretty amazing. But it's all quite subjective.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
You might try Adobe Lightroom Mobile’s camera app. It uses 3 exposures for HDR I believe, while SmartHDR uses more. And LRM is free. I think Procamera can be set to use from 2-5 exposures, but they caution that using 5 can be slow and problematic with moving subjects (see below about the buffer)

The problem with replicating the actual thing that SmartHDR is doing in a 3rd party app on older phones seems to be twofold. To use many images will require that photos are continuously made and saved to a buffer, so when you press the shutter, it doesn’t take an extended time to make the multiple exposures. Secondly, to combine a large number of images takes a lot of processing power that older hardware probably just doesn’t have. That power comes at least in part from the new neural processor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Azy

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2018
thanks Paco and Azatholoth i will look at LRM first since it's free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.