Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Could anyone confirm whether the 400D will work tethered to a mac with Aperture?

If not aperture what else would support the 400D?

I'm looking for people that have the 400D and a mac to try this out please?

Theres a lot of mixed views on google...

Cheers
Luke

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I have the 400D as well, that the XTi correct? I have taken a couple tethered snaps using canons provided software.

If you like, i believe i have a bookmarked tutorial on my Macbook, unfortunately im at work for a few more hours so i can get it for you later if you would like. :)

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have the 400D as well, that the XTi correct? I have taken a couple tethered snaps using canons provided software.

If you like, i believe i have a bookmarked tutorial on my Macbook, unfortunately im at work for a few more hours so i can get it for you later if you would like. :)

So it doesn't work with Aperture or have you not tried it?

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
For what it's worth, simply connecting my XSi (450d) with aperture open, all of the tethering options are grayed out. From a little bit of reading, it seems that the canon utility that ships with the camera is the software to use for tethering :(

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv

Olivier L.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Tethering can also be done with Canon EOS Adobe Lightroom.
I have done already with my 400D.

Principle is simple: when you shoot, the pictures are transfered to your HD by Canon EOS viewer, in the folder you choose, and you just configure Lightroom to monitor the folder for new pictures, and import them in the library directly (for example, depending on how you manage your pictures...). If you display this folder in Lightroom, then you will see pictures appear as you shoot...

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Tethering can also be done with Canon EOS Adobe Lightroom.
I have done already with my 400D.

Principle is simple: when you shoot, the pictures are transfered to your HD by Canon EOS viewer, in the folder you choose, and you just configure Lightroom to monitor the folder for new pictures, and import them in the library directly (for example, depending on how you manage your pictures...). If you display this folder in Lightroom, then you will see pictures appear as you shoot...

I suppose. But I was hoping to control the 400D's settings via the macbook. I guess I could do this in the canon software but not aperture or lightroom then.
Thanks for the help. I guess if i do tethering I will use the canon software and import into aperture after

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I suppose. But I was hoping to control the 400D's settings via the macbook. I guess I could do this in the canon software but not aperture or lightroom then.
Thanks for the help. I guess if i do tethering I will use the canon software and import into aperture after

Well hopefully Aperture 3 will address that for you. I cant imagine why the XTi(400D) isnt supported. As far as i have seen its a widely used body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.