Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
From what I have read the new RAW format of the Canon 40D isn't compatible with iPhoto or Aperture.

Has any one heard if Leopard fixes this???

Thanks

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The RAW format isn't `incompatible', the OS just needs an update, it doesn't know how to read the 40D's RAW files -- yet.

Other RAW software (e. g. Bibble) support the 40D on the Mac already. So you can use the 40D's RAW files already.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
The RAW format isn't `incompatible', the OS just needs an update, it doesn't know how to read the 40D's RAW files -- yet.

Other RAW software (e. g. Bibble) support the 40D on the Mac already. So you can use the 40D's RAW files already.

But my orginal question remains, can Leopard read the RAW files form the 40D?? I am quite happy with Aperture and don't want to start using another piece of software

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
leopard won't do anything.

An update to Aperture is what will enable 40D RAW support. That may come alongside Leopard because of other integration issues but the fix has little to do with the OS

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005

An update to Aperture is what will enable 40D RAW support. That may come alongside Leopard because of other integration issues but the fix has little to do with the OS

Its my understanding from searching on this forum that RAW is handled by the OS, and if this is any indication maybe there is hope with Leopard.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#imaging

I guess I anserwd my own question

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

This is not true. The RAW conversion is handled by a common library that is used by Aperture, iPhoto, Preview and other software. So, when this is updated all these programs will be able to read the 40D's raw image.
Changes to Core Image have been released in the past as updates to Mac OS. So it is reasonable to think that when the OS is upgraded Aperture (and iPhoto) will work with more raw formats,

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
But my orginal question remains, can Leopard read the RAW files form the 40D?? I am quite happy with Aperture and don't want to start using another piece of software
You don't have to. You can shoot in jpgs in the meantime. The question is not whether the 40D is compatible with OS X (it is), it's is whether the 40D's RAW format is supported yet.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I could be mistaken, but partially in response to what OreoCookie said, I think RAW from the 40D works fine and it's just the sRAW that isn't supported yet.

AndreaVac

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
I could be mistaken, but partially in response to what OreoCookie said, I think RAW from the 40D works fine and it's just the sRAW that isn't supported yet.

Neither RAW nor sRAW are working with Aperture right now... so I have to shot JPG + RAW hoping that an update is coming soon!
BTW Lightroom already supports 40D's RAW... :(

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
I ditched iPhoto (and Aperture, which I was trying out) a couple weeks ago for Canon's Digital Photo Professional.

I haven't looked back. DPP may be a little slow (nothing close to Aperture!) and is lacking rotation (please Canon, we need to correct our crooked photos without opening and saving in Photoshop!) but for image quality it cannot be beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.