Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I am in the market for a new camera and I really like the 40D. But last time I purchased a new camera (Digital Rebel) it was replaced by a new model (Rebel XT) after 3 or 4 weeks of my purchase.

I really like the 40D and I know it will eventually be replaced with a new model, I just don't want it to happen right away. :)

It seems fairly new Aug/Sept 2007, but has anyone heard any rumblings of a replacement to the 40D??

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
None. The 5D and 400D will be updated first an that's probably enough for the next 12 months at least.

That makes me feel a little better about my purchase. I am just waiting until after MacWorld to see what Apple may have up their sleeves. If they don't come out with anything I want/need I will go get the 40D ASAP.

The $$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

ibilly

macrumors regular
May 2, 2003
Boulder
in a word, no

The 40D is pretty fresh and Canon tends to follow an 18 month upgrade cycle, though the consumer line (Rebel) may go a little quicker depending on competitive forces.

The 30D was also a fairly minor upgrade (in that it kept the same sensor and overall design/mechanics) to the 20D so canon re-worked a LOT of things on the 40D and the response has been pretty positive.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
The VP of Canon said that they were announcing a product on January 24th. Not likely to be a 40D replacement just yet, but rather a 5D or 400D replacement as Robbie pointed out.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I agree with the above. The higher range cameras aren't updated very rapidly.
Much more likely to see the 5D and/or 400D replacement.
Who knows though, really. What with what Martin C reports about the 24th, might as well wait a week or two and see what's up then. In the mean time, savour that delicious anticipation. It will be gone once you have made the purchase.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I agree with the above. The higher range cameras aren't updated very rapidly.
Much more likely to see the 5D and/or 400D replacement.
Who knows though, really. What with what Martin C reports about the 24th, might as well wait a week or two and see what's up then. In the mean time, savour that delicious anticipation. It will be gone once you have made the purchase.

I do not savour the anticipation at all, I waited for OS X to support the new version of RAW and then I waited for MacWorld. I don't know if I can hold out another few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.