Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Go into Disk Utility, click your main drive, and click "Partition". Is there any "empty space" or "unused space" or whatever in the pie chart?

Feel free to share a screenshot.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Chances are, the only way you're getting that space back will be to do this:

1. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive (the Mac partition, that is) on an EXTERNAL drive.

2. BOOT FROM the cloned backup.

3. Use Disk Utility to re-initialize the internal drive to HFS+ with journaling enabled, ONE partition.

4. Use CCC (or SD) to RE-clone the backup BACK TO the internal.

This WILL do the job, and do it right.
Takes a little time, though...

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Did you mouse over the line-graph elements? This may be "Purgeable" - try a google to understand more about this. (That is, it may not be "missing"
What does a cmd-i on the disk say?
Try something like Disk Inventory X to see if there is some blob someplace, such as a log file.

znoopy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Did you mouse over the line-graph elements? This may be "Purgeable" - try a google to understand more about this. (That is, it may not be "missing"
What does a cmd-i on the disk say?
Try something like Disk Inventory X to see if there is some blob someplace, such as a log file.

Thanks all!

I ended up doing a complete reinstall of OS.... :/

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It probably would have been fixable using command-line tools. Just for future reference. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.