Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asus MX27UC vs. LG 27UK850-W vs. LG 27UK650-W

• Asus MC27UC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LG 27UK850-W

• Something else...

• Total voters

lmike6453

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I've been researching monitors quite a bit in the past few weeks after picking up a 2018 15" MacBook Pro, and selling my 1440p 34" Ultrawide Asus PG348Q because font was grainy and not optimized for lower resolutions.

I plan to try to stream games (via Steam or Moonlight) from my main Windows desktop in another room, but may ultimately buy an eGPU if it gives me problems where AMD FreeSync would be advantageous.

Down to a decision between the Asus MX27UC vs the LG 27UK850-W for general use, programming / coding, and gaming. Both seem to be able to charge the MacBook @60w power delivery all the same.

I'm also open to the idea of the cheaper LGUK650-W that does not have a USB-C port, but looks the same otherwise, and not sure if I'm overspending by thinking about going with the LGUK850-W (could use some advice here).

When comparing from this chart comparison: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/665d4cb6f

Overall the Asus has better:
- Static contrast ratio (1300:1 vs LG's 1000:1)
- Lower input lag (10ms vs LG's 14ms)
- Better sRGB color coverage @100% (LG is a respectable 99% though)

And the LG excels in:
- HDR400 monitor / more brightness (Asus is not HDR)
- AMD FreeSync (while Asus has "Adaptive-Sync" built into monitor)
- Height adjustable stand / ergonomics

Which would you choose, and why?

lmike6453

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I would be interested in know this also

I went with the LG 27UK650-W which is the same as the 850 model in my OP, but no USB-C or speakers.

The price difference when buying used was massively different, where USB-C monitors carry a hefty price tag for the luxury of charging the MacBook over the video cable connection.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
NO usb-c ? so how you connect your macbook pro? if you use an adapter, my question is: not affect the video quality?

lmike6453

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
NO usb-c ? so how you connect your macbook pro? if you use an adapter, my question is: not affect the video quality?

Correct, no USB-C and everything is working great. Video quality is not affected and am using a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 cable from Amazon, Uni brand. Although a better choice would have been a DisplayPort 1.4 by the brand CableMatters. probably going to end up exchanging for futureproofing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.